Two Spoke Forums banner

Wheelset question for the guru's

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wild 
#1 · (Edited)
Was in the LBS Saturday getting my new bike it's one month tuneup talking to the guy I bought it from and I told him I loved the bike except that one thing I might consider once I burn through these tires is to drop down from the 32c's on it to maybe a 28c or 25c.

He said that my rims would easily take the 28c and most likely take the 25c, then he paused for a moment and said he had a possible other option for me. He said earlier in the week a customer came in bought a road bike and had the wheels switched out before it left the store. He has a basically brand new set of Mavic CXP22 rims with 23c tires for what I think is a pretty good deal ($150).

My thoughts are that it would be nice to be able to switch between the two tire widths easily. My only concern is whether or not these are decent rims? The LBS guy said those rims are considered a little heavy for serious road use, but for my purpose would be fine... lighter than what I currently have.

My current ride is a Specialized Sirrus Elite which is a street oriented hybrid and even though it's a 'hybrid' It will never the off road. Does this sound like a good deal or should I just wait till I need to replace the tires and go with something smaller on my current rims.?

See less See more
#2 ·
Just a thought...
If you hybrid has center pull brakes, like used to come on mountain bikes back before discs...
You will have way too much brake for the amount of tire contact point. it would be...iffy...to stop in a hurry, with 23c tires on it.

My cyclocross is a sort of hybrid and has those center pull brakes on it. I can easily lock them up with 28c tires on it. would be too easy with skinnier tires.

#4 ·
One more thing with more than one set of wheels with the same bike. Your situation may be different but for a while I had two sets of wheels for my mountain bike. One set I had some more road tires for most of my riding. When I got ready to ride the trails I had another set with 2.25 knob tires on them.

Trouble is that when you went from wheelset to wheelset, changing the wheels wasn't the only thing I had to do. It meant readjusting brakes, and occasionally some minor adjustments in the shifting for it to ride right. It worked, but it wasn't the five minute switch I thought it would be when I made the decision to go with an extra wheel set.

#5 ·
More good insight from those that have been down the same path. Let me ask a real noob question. My assumption is that the narrower the tire, the more harsh the ride. Is that a true statement?

Is there really a noticeable difference in the ride between a 32 and a 28?

#6 ·
There is for me my Absolute has 28s and my Aurora Elite has 32s and yes there is a lot of differnce in the ride. Allso the brand of tire will have an efect on the ride as not all 28s are the same I found out, the 28s I have on are as narow as some 25s. Air presure is 125# max in the 28s and 85# max in the 32s.
Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.