When do you replace bike brake pads?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by cbman, Jan 16, 2010.

1. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

I'm putting up some pictures of both my front and rear pads. I'm wondering if it's time to replace them. They seem pretty worn and the rear brakes won't lock up any more. The pad on the left is the rear one, the one one the right is the front. Also, should I replace the disk the same time as the pads?

Attached Files:

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

They all appear to have plenty of life left, but the fronts look glazed. You might want to try to knock the glaze off with some fine sandpaper. Most likely, the rotors are fine.

3. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Unless you have grooves in the rotors that almost gouge your fingernails, they should be good.

One indication of "needing pads" is, indeed, the loss of power; however, roughing them up CAN give you some more life, as it looks like you have pad material to work with. But if the roughing doesn't work, it's time for new....

...And I always recommend ceramic pads! Two years of awesome performance in my BB7's! Modulation is a step above ANYthing else I've used, and the stopping power is there all day long.

4. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

thanks guys!

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

My custom titanium discs were like sandpaper to the pads, and they ripped through them in less than 200 miles. The front pads seized and gouged the rotors. That was an expensive ($300) lesson that I don't care to repeat.

Break the glaze with some fine grit paper, keep your oily fingers off the braking surface, and you'll be fine for some more miles.

6. Jake_The_Snake

Jake_The_Snake New Member

BB7s are the poo... who needs hydro when they work that well!