Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a friend of mine, what did you want to be when you grew up and did you accomplish it?

Before five I wanted to be a werewolf. Teen Wolf was big when I was a kid.

After five I wanted to be a lawyer, but that takes a lot of work, after that I wanted to be chef. Close enough.

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
When I was in college I was a mechanical engineering major. Went to job shadow my dad who is a mechanical engineer during my junior year.

Hated it and changed my major as soon as possible to criminal justice.

Now, I work as an engineer, with a Criminal Justice Degree.
God's sense of humor?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I do remember watching Lemond in the 80s and thinking I'd like to race bikes one day. Still think that. :) I used to do laps at my grandparents' on my BMX as "training". Seemed like I was riding forever, but thinking back, it was probably less than 10 miles.

Then I wanted to be a Top Gun pilot.

Next I wanted to be Indiana Jones. I even started college as an anthropology major to pursue a career in archaeology. Then I began to realize how few of those jobs there are, how little they pay, and how much traveling is usually involved.

Most of my friends were engineering majors. I switched to mechanical engineering, got my degree in that, am a registered Professional Engineer, and that's what I'm currently doing.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Mostly accident investigation and accident causation (the majority of which is related to automobile accidents), full vehicle testing, component testing, etc. but right now the majority of my time is developing suspension systems for UTVs (utility terrain vehicles similar to the Yamaha Rhino, Polaris Ranger, Polaris RZR, etc). I've spent most of this week modeling a certain one of them in order to spec the spring rates and shock absorber damping rates. Tomorrow I'll be working with a shock manufacturer to get the valving that I'm looking for. After the modifications are made, we will then instrument the vehicle to acquire all important aspects of vehicle dynamics data and test the vehicle. Hopefully, that will be done next week and we'll present the vehicle to the manufacturer that hired us.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
There's no guarantee that I actually will grow up... ask my wife, but in the off chance that I do, I want to be Spiderman. Until that time I'm playing a software developer/analyst currently working for a small insurance company building and maintaining in-house and web applications.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I wanted to be an artist or a photographer. Got the art degree, worked as a photographer. Now I am a supervisor at a software company, and also edit technical documents. And dabble in the cycling/outdoor industry.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,536 Posts
I don't ever really remembering wanting to be anything. All I knew was I didn't like school. Then I saw a show about job security in the humanities so started working in MRDD and ended working as a caregiver for a not for profit hospice.

·
1,355 Posts
When I was young I read a book written by Tom Robbins called "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" In it there was an old hermit who lived in a cave. I wanted to be that guy. I haven't made it there yet but there is still time...

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I was young I read a book written by Tom Robbins called "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues" In it there was an old hermit who lived in a cave. I wanted to be that guy. I haven't made it there yet but there is still time...
I read a lot of Hesse growing up and always wanted to live in a cloister.

·
1,355 Posts
Speaking of writers, I would imagine that is something a lot of folks would like to be when they grow up.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speaking of writers, I would imagine that is something a lot of folks would like to be when they grow up.
That was my ambition from 17 till present, but lucky for me I can do that and cook.

I just don't because I'm lazy.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
The guys at work think I should write a book. I'll tell the most outrageous story that no one in their right mind would believe, then produce a photo, newspaper clipping, or some other proof to back it up.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The guys at work think I should write a book. I'll tell the most outrageous story that no one in their right mind would believe, then produce a photo, newspaper clipping, or some other proof to back it up.
I stopped sharing my naughty stories, it makes people think it's OK to come to work strung out.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I never had any real ambitions about my career. I just like to be.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts