Two Spoke Forums banner

When to replace tires?

5K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Retmuter 
#1 ·
How many miles should I put on my tires (riding road) before I need to replace them? And what should I look for on the tire itself to see if it is wearing? Also, can you recommend a good replacement tire?

#2 ·
Michelin makes a really good tire. There are several others as well but Michelin is probably on the top of my list though. Mileage can vary depending on the brand the tire itself, also the rider. Heavier riders do tend to wear out tires a little faster than lighter guys.

#4 ·
Tire life depends on the tire and how it's made. Keep an eye on the tire tread. Once it's gone it may be time to replace it. Another sure sign is when you start getting punctures more often. The back tire will wear much quicker than the front. I try to rotate my tires every 1000 (+/-) miles or so.

As for replacement tires, so much depends on how you ride and where you ride. I commute to work and ride on some pretty rough KS roads so I choose a puncture resistant tire. I am currently running Specialized Armadillos and think they're great. They were not cheap, though. There are much cheaper quality tires out there as well.

Hope this helps...TRH

#8 ·
I've been using Bontrager Select-K's for a while now, no punctures - yet...

The K refers to Kevlar reinforcement for puncture resistance, on the same idea as the Armadillos mentioned earlier in this thread. The Select-K's can be had for around $25 each. I just replaced mine because the back one had a couple of deep gashes in it, and I also wanted to change sizes.

#9 ·
The rear will get squared off, a flat instead of round profile. Time to change both. Toss the rear and save the front for a spare.
Yep. I know it's been debated over and over with some saying you shouldn't, but I've had much better luck and gotten much longer life out of my road tires if I rotate them every 200 or so miles. Definitely increases the time before the tire gets squared off.

#15 ·
I too am a big fan of rotation. Only I do a 3 tire rotation. Back to the front, new or spare to the rear, front saved for next rotation. You can get roughly the same life out of 3 tires as you can out of 4 without rotating this way. Back in the day I'd put a Specialized Touring 11 on the front, IIRC 28 and a Touring X in the rear, IIRC 32. They'd wear out about the same time
But I'm a cheap, lazy b@$t@*d.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.