Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,806 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
At my bike shop. I get a discount on almost everything I get there, including clothing, so the savings, if any, online isn’t worth the waiting time to get them. I also like to try on what I am buying so I don’t have to return them if they don’t fit. I don’t buy cycling shoes online either and for the same reasons.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a few sources but of late it seems they are under the effects of C19 like many places and either out of stock or not currently in production. I am looking to keep kits (bibs and as jerseys) in the range right at $100 price range. I know I know, ASSOS are best and all but I’ll be darn I will pay $150 + for a pair of bibs alone!

I have seen GCG and BB and others that sell kits for right around those prices which are more in line with what I am looking to. I have no doubt Rapha and ASSOS are quality but their steep price points are insane.

I have had great luck with Zimco cycle wear but sizing you need can either be in stock or not.

Keep the suggestions coming as I will look at each. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
Have you looked into cycling shorts? I know that not everyone can wear them comfortably but they're cheaper than most bibs. I'm just the opposite and can't wear bibs. Short torso; so all the bibs they make in medium are too big in the shoulders. Cost of bibs plus alterations make it cost prohibitive for me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you looked into cycling shorts? I know that not everyone can wear them comfortably but they're cheaper than most bibs. I'm just the opposite and can't wear bibs. Short torso; so all the bibs they make in medium are too big in the shoulders. Cost of bibs plus alterations make it cost prohibitive for me.
I so dislike shorts so not an option. It’s not the money, it’s the fact some companies think their product is worth a days salary which it is not in this line of product.

It’s shorts/bibs and jerseys and quite honestly I know it is capitalism at its finest, but I just refuse to give them what they ask. I saw one set of bibs by ASSOS for over $300 and I just had to laugh so hard I cracked a rib. I thought to myself, some schmuck actually pays that...LOL

I may stick with GCG and BB as a source. I just wondered if anyone had a b-line on other sources I have yet to discover.

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
I so dislike shorts so not an option. It’s not the money, it’s the fact some companies think their product is worth a days salary which it is not in this line of product.

It’s shorts/bibs and jerseys and quite honestly I know it is capitalism at its finest, but I just refuse to give them what they ask. I saw one set of bibs by ASSOS for over $300 and I just had to laugh so hard I cracked a rib. I thought to myself, some schmuck actually pays that...LOL

I may stick with GCG and BB as a source. I just wondered if anyone had a b-line on other sources I have yet to discover.
I fully agree on the cost. I never spent more than $80.00 on a pair of shorts and thought that was highway robbery. There's just not enough material there to justify the cost. One of my shorts accidentally got torn so I went to my LBS to replace them. They didn't have the ones I normally get in stock so I bit the bullet and bought the next line up for $100.00. They seem to do a bit better on longer rides but not sure the difference in price is worth the difference in performance. I've tried cheaper shorts but they don't seem to hold up.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up purchasing a new kit from Bicycle Booth. Decent prices and found a online coupon to boot! My only need is flatlock seams and a decent chamois and not one of those thin pad things they call a chamois! I usually get a year or slightly longer on my clothing if riding it weekly.

I will let you know how BB works out. First time buying from them.

·
2,023 Posts
I find the better clothing, although more expensive, lasts longer. I picked up Giordana FormaRed bibs for $200 (25% off) in 2011. Averaged about 1.5 rides per week with them since then. They’ve just started to become a bit thread bare in the last couple of months. My amortized cost is quite low considering the longevity.

·
tall old member
1,586 Posts
I bought some Chineseum jerseys off Amazon for a really cheap price. They were nice except a bit short in the body. They work better with bibs but I hate bibs. The only bibs I like are some thermal bibs I found in extra tall size that I wear in the winter. As far as wearing out cycling clothing I have only worn out one pair of shorts in in 17 years of riding. I wash and dry my stuff with my regular laundry in the washer and drier.
I buy some of my stuff from Aero Tech in Pittsburgh. It is manufactured in Pittsburgh Pa. All materials and thread are made in United States. I like buying stuff made here but thought I would give the cheapos a try. For a shorter person they would probably work.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
My bibs always come from Aerotech. In fact i just got s new pair s couple months ago. They stand behind their product and made in USA.
I’ve purchased a couple jerseys there as well, but lately they haven’t had anything I’m interested in, so i bought from one of those discount places online. The colors are vibrant, but the sizing is smaller than US sizing. The quality isn’t as good, but so far they seem to me holding up. I suspect I’ll get a year or two out if them, before they start to fall apart. Not bad at about $25/Jersey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts