Where do you buy cycling clothing?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Germanrazor, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Germanrazor

Germanrazor Well-Known Member

I am looking for maybe untapped sources I don’t know about. I have shopped many online outlets but where do you all shop for clothing, specifically bibs and jerseys?

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  2. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

I buy clothes only on sale, usually on holidays, so I shop in many places. I have a brand or three that I like, and search by brand. Some brands are sold in many places, and some are captive, for example, La Passione, whose jerseys I like. I get discounted Assos and Giordana at swissiconic.com.

fpl1, Dos_Ruedas and Germanrazor like this.

3. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Dos_Ruedas and Germanrazor like this.
  4. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

At my bike shop. I get a discount on almost everything I get there, including clothing, so the savings, if any, online isn’t worth the waiting time to get them. I also like to try on what I am buying so I don’t have to return them if they don’t fit. I don’t buy cycling shoes online either and for the same reasons.

fpl1, Germanrazor, Dos_Ruedas and 2 others like this.
  5. Germanrazor

I have a few sources but of late it seems they are under the effects of C19 like many places and either out of stock or not currently in production. I am looking to keep kits (bibs and as jerseys) in the range right at $100 price range. I know I know, ASSOS are best and all but I’ll be darn I will pay $150 + for a pair of bibs alone!

I have seen GCG and BB and others that sell kits for right around those prices which are more in line with what I am looking to. I have no doubt Rapha and ASSOS are quality but their steep price points are insane.

I have had great luck with Zimco cycle wear but sizing you need can either be in stock or not.

Keep the suggestions coming as I will look at each. Thanks for all the suggestions.

fpl1, Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  6. John_V

Have you looked into cycling shorts? I know that not everyone can wear them comfortably but they're cheaper than most bibs. I'm just the opposite and can't wear bibs. Short torso; so all the bibs they make in medium are too big in the shoulders. Cost of bibs plus alterations make it cost prohibitive for me.

fpl1 and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  7. Germanrazor

I so dislike shorts so not an option. It’s not the money, it’s the fact some companies think their product is worth a days salary which it is not in this line of product.

It’s shorts/bibs and jerseys and quite honestly I know it is capitalism at its finest, but I just refuse to give them what they ask. I saw one set of bibs by ASSOS for over $300 and I just had to laugh so hard I cracked a rib. I thought to myself, some schmuck actually pays that...LOL

I may stick with GCG and BB as a source. I just wondered if anyone had a b-line on other sources I have yet to discover.

fpl1, Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  8. John_V

I fully agree on the cost. I never spent more than $80.00 on a pair of shorts and thought that was highway robbery. There's just not enough material there to justify the cost. One of my shorts accidentally got torn so I went to my LBS to replace them. They didn't have the ones I normally get in stock so I bit the bullet and bought the next line up for $100.00. They seem to do a bit better on longer rides but not sure the difference in price is worth the difference in performance. I've tried cheaper shorts but they don't seem to hold up.

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  9. Germanrazor

I ended up purchasing a new kit from Bicycle Booth. Decent prices and found a online coupon to boot! My only need is flatlock seams and a decent chamois and not one of those thin pad things they call a chamois! I usually get a year or slightly longer on my clothing if riding it weekly.

I will let you know how BB works out. First time buying from them.

10. Merlincustom

I find the better clothing, although more expensive, lasts longer. I picked up Giordana FormaRed bibs for $200 (25% off) in 2011. Averaged about 1.5 rides per week with them since then. They’ve just started to become a bit thread bare in the last couple of months. My amortized cost is quite low considering the longevity.

11. Merlincustom

www.swissiconic.com has 40-60% off Giordana jerseys and 40% off Assos shorts on a Labor Day sale.

Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.