Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw Dean over the weekend, he pointed out I had not been on in a long time, I figured some amount of explanation is in order, so here we go.

I work for a small restaurant, for a friend of mine (kind of, he is my friend, he is an owner, but we leave each other alone.). I had to let some people go a few months ago, we had to make some cuts, unfortunately, labor saw most of that cutting.

So being the Kitchen Manager and nice guy that I am, I have been putting in 60 hour weeks, trying to make this workout, I got word today that we have declared bankruptcy, and my future, and the future of the company is uncertain. We will continue serving, but I think we're about to see some changes, and I have been asked to redesign the menu, portion, quality and pricing, and have been told to revise my ordering for three days out, most places order for five.

I do most of my posting from work, I used to get to hang out in my office, a lot, now I'm in the kitchen non stop. I just got the news and needed to vent.

In a weird way, this might be good, I've been wanting to catch up with everyone, I'm not seeing a decrease in my hours yet, but it's inevitable. Less time at work means more time for bikes though, so I am conflicted.

I'm going to start looking for a new job soon, we'll see, I don't know.

So hey guys!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Good luck, man! I was wondering about you. It's definitely been less "fun" without you around.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate it. I missed you guys too. Whenever it got a little slow at work, I would run to my desk sit down start typing, then here the stupid bell letting me know I had an order, I hate that bell.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If the question is an open one, I've been sitting on the couch. :)

Seriously, I haven't worked in a month. I was working for a friend/boss as well for his electrical contracting company at a Marriot Hotel but being a floor to floor remodel, it is staged and the mold remediation of floor 5 is in it's months long process. That and the job went over budget for all involved so a stop work order was given to us.

I went to electrical as hvac, for myself as I work for, well, myself in all honesty, kinda dropped out as it is known to do during the Winter seasons for pretty much the entire field as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The rant.:)

I worked for a roughly a month in the elctrical field recently, coming straight from hvac, before the elecrical job shut down. What sucks is that he, my friend and owner of electrical business, is a smaller and newer company than the hvac contractor I've been with for three seasons now. I was hired specifically for this Marriot Hotel, on contract, and so when it stopped, I stopped. He has two other employees that have been with him consistantly and both are family, one being his younger brother and the other an older uncle (his father's friend, really) and a Journeyman electrician so all other and usual work goes to those guys.

Sorry, I've been ranting, but I guess it's about time I just find any old job for a few months to get by.

I hate not working. Ack.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you're back. Hang in there.
I'm trying, I'm beat, I feel like I'm arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

We are going under, one of our food providers has stopped delivery until confirmation of payment, which means I'm running a half menu, more or less.

I started looking for a new job, joy.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I'm trying, I'm beat, I feel like I'm arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

We are going under, one of our food providers has stopped delivery until confirmation of payment, which means I'm running a half menu, more or less.

I started looking for a new job, joy.
Hope it works out, I wouldn't want to be looking for a job right now.

·
Two skinny J's
21,428 Posts
Fun, I wish you well ! I recently found out that applying for a job is nothing like it used to be. Companies have completely isolated themselves from any personal contact. Try to keep a positive out look, things happen for a reason and there's something better waiting for you !

·
Two skinny J's
21,428 Posts
I worked for a roughly a month in the elctrical field recently, coming straight from hvac, before the elecrical job shut down. What sucks is that he, my friend and owner of electrical business, is a smaller and newer company than the hvac contractor I've been with for three seasons now. I was hired specifically for this Marriot Hotel, on contract, and so when it stopped, I stopped. He has two other employees that have been with him consistantly and both are family, one being his younger brother and the other an older uncle (his father's friend, really) and a Journeyman electrician so all other and usual work goes to those guys.

Sorry, I've been ranting, but I guess it's about time I just find any old job for a few months to get by.

I hate not working. Ack.
Road...maybe you should come to the Tidewater area ! HVAC here is in such demand that it is a min of 2 weeks for a svc call and gawd knows how long for repair or install work ! My heat went out over a week ago and it has gotten down to 18 degrees at night. Fortunately I have a dual zone heat pump system and up stairs where we sleep has been comfortable. Downstairs we had to buy 2 oil filled space heaters and managed to keep a comfortable 70 degrees downstairs. I can honestly say I have been impressed with the heat these units provide. I feel fortunate to have a fireplace as well. I had to take the day off today and I am anxiously waiting for these folks to show up to deliver my new 15 SEER Christmas present ! I worked on 50 ton units on the flight line for AWACS in the Air Force and am seriously considering HVAC as a backup plan in this economy !

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts