Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which bike is right for you? There are some basic styles of bikes to choose from, and selecting one depends on the type of riding you want to do. Road Bikes: Designed for riding on smooth pavement and going fast. They have skinny tires, a lightweight frame and the riding position puts you bent over the handlebars. You might choose this type of bike if taking long distance rides.
Mountain Bikes: Made with wide, knobby tires and a stout frame. They are designed to handle rugged off-road trails. This trade-off in durability and a more comfortable upright riding position is often a common choice. Options may include high end components that allow for extreme conditions. Mountain bikes are generally less expensive than road bikes, but too often, you pay for impressive unnecessary features.
Hybrid Bikes: Multi-purpose bikes made for city riding, and for light trails, offering speed, durability and comfort. Hybrids are the logical compromise between a road and mountain bike. If the majority of your riding will be shorter trips on pavement, this choice offers the best features of both. Offering skinny tires with some light tread, they typically go faster than mountain bikes. Hybrids feature an upright seat and handlebar position that many people favor.
Tandem and recumbent bikes are unique types that you often see only on the showroom floor at a local bike shop. Accessories may include gloves, glasses, padded shorts, bike jersey, pedals and shoes. You should always choose a comfortable helmet that you wear whenever riding. If you plan to use the bike to carry things, such as groceries or school books, make sure the bike frame allows a rear rack to be attached.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I like my Jamis Aurora Elite touring bike I like the steel frame, I like the disc brakes, I like the brifters, the droped bar with the manny hand positions, I like the fenders and the rack, I like the gearing 11x34 9 spd with 30-39-50 chain rings, I like the short top tube for a more relaxed posion, I like the wider tires for ther softer ride. I realy like this bike and have road it 5,000 miles in a year and a half. I think I will keep it ;) :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm a Raleigh guy and just love my 2010 Carbon Team SL road bike...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts