Two Spoke Forums banner

which bike rack is good???????????

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Weav 
#1 ·
hi, i have a honda crv and i wanted to know which bike rack and by what company would be good to get,i have 2 adults and 2 childrens bikes.......thank you

#7 ·
With your type of vehicle I'd go with a receiver style rack, not a roof mount.

For the last 7 years I have been using a Sportworks tray style carrier. Sportworks only makes bike racks for city buses now. Thule took over make the tray style receiver racks for regular vehicles like your Honda. I believe you can go to their web site and more or less design one to fit your needs. I think it will let you tell it what kind of vehicle you have, if you have a rear mounted spare tire, etc. and it will tell you what you need. If the web site does not do that I'm sure you can call Thule and after you figure out what you need go to your local bike shope that is a Thule dealer and purchase one.

With a rear mounted spare tire you will need the extension piece that pushes the rack out so there is enough clearence for the bike or bikes you are going to carry on it.

One more thing. If given a choice between bolted on and pin for the way the main receiver tube is held in place in your vehicles receiver hitch, I recommend the bolted on. Yes it takes more time to add and remove and you will need a socket and ratchet to do so, but it is much more secure than a pin.

I also recommend spending the money on the piece that allows you to fold up the bike rack when it is not in use.

#10 ·
I've had the Thule 918 T2 for a couple of years now and I love it! Mine is a 2" receiver. If you have a 1-1/4, it's a 917 T2. Not sure if it will work with your spare tire.
If they are half as good as the Sportworks racks there will be an option for an extension piece to push the rack out a little further to clear the spare tire. Sportworks also offered a rack for either a 1 1/4" or a 2" receiver. I do not like adapters, my personal preferance, so I recommend the correct size for which ever receiver hitch you have.

#12 ·
I like Saris racks because of their lifetime guarantee. A part broke on my 5 year old Saris Cycleon rack and they got the replacement part to me within 24 hours.

The Saris Cycleon is a tray rack similar to theThule 918 ( Saris Cycling Group ) It also comes in a 4 bike version.

The Saris T-Rax is a swing aside hitch design for 4 bikes. Saris Cycling Group

#13 ·
If they are half as good as the Sportworks racks there will be an option for an extension piece to push the rack out a little further to clear the spare tire. Sportworks also offered a rack for either a 1 1/4" or a 2" receiver. I do not like adapters, my personal preferance, so I recommend the correct size for which ever receiver hitch you have.
I don't know if Thule makes a receiver extension, but they are available. One will be needed for most similar racks when mounted on vehicles with a spare tire on the door.

#14 ·
I like Saris racks because of their lifetime guarantee. A part broke on my 5 year old Saris Cycleon rack and they got the replacement part to me within 24 hours.

The Saris Cycleon is a tray rack similar to theThule 918 ( Saris Cycling Group ) It also comes in a 4 bike version.

The Saris is really nice too. I was looking to get one, but I ended up getting a smokin' deal on the Thule.

#16 ·

I think Yakima at least matches them in customer satisfaction.

#18 ·
There is a big difference between bumper hitches and frame mounted receiver hitches. 2 main differences being a bumper hitch is mounted to the bumper and has a short receiver tube and is not nearly as strong as a frame mounted receiver hitch. But most bumper hitches are not hitches at all, but nothing more than a ball mounted to the bumper.

Go with a properly installed frame mounted receiver hitch if your vehicle is not equipped with one. Unless you are towing a trailer you do not need the light harness.

I have had a 2" frame mounted receiver hitch on my Jeep Compass for the last 3+ years and do not have the light harness. It was installed after market and I do not own or tow a trailer.

Yes a 2" is a lot more stable than the 1 1/4".

#21 ·
I think Yakima at least matches them in customer satisfaction.
I have heard good things about Yakima and Thule, but I give my props to Saris. I broke an arm off my Saris Bones, my fault for backing into a tree, they didn't care, sent a new arm to my LBS within a few days and I was back on the road like new. One of the best warranty experiences I have ever had.

OP, with your rear tire there go with a hitch mounted rack. Just go with something within your budget, Saris, Thule, Yakima, and probably some others here I have never heard of will work great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.