Which clipless pedals should I get?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by lootcorp, Oct 14, 2010.

1. lootcorp

lootcorp New Member

Hi all,

Former casual cyclist, now reunited with the sport and wanting to get more serious. For my first bike, I purchased a Giant Escape 1 (figuring this would be a good all-around bike - will be using this for tooling around town, potentially commuting, and some touring).

My goal is to eventually do some centuries (and beyond), so I plan to start taking my bike on longer and longer trips around here (Fairfield County, CT) to train for that goal. My goal is to upgrade my current bike for distance runs, but only to the point it makes sense to.

In other words, when I get to the point where I realize my hybrid is not sufficient as a true road bike, I will go out and buy a specialized bike for the long hauls. In the meantime, however, I would like to make some improvements to my current ride to make my life easier. I plan on putting a lot of miles on this bike.

I was thinking of Shimano clipless pedals, specifically the Ultegra PD-6700s - would these be a waste of $$? I figure the added pedaling efficiency would be a big boost. Any other pedals you would recommend? Don't waste my time? Any other improvements to the stock Escape that would be worthwhile?

Is it stupid to try long distance with a hybrid?

Thanks from a noob...

Jim

***edited to ask: Can the SPD-SL pedals be used with recessed cleats (i.e., the ones you can walk in without sounding like a tap dancer?) Perhaps I should go with regular SPD? I was also looking at the Shimano PD-A530 pedals, they say they are heavier but would I even notice the difference at this stage in my cycling? I would like the flexibility of riding in street shoes and being able to walk normally in my cleated shoes...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. awinter

awinter No longer a newb!

Since you are going to be multi-use I'd go with a MTB pedal that has cleat on one side and platform on the other. Also, with these, the shoes would be the type you can walk around in without wearing out the cleats. BlueSkyCycling.com - Wellgo C002B Sealed Bearing Pedals

[​IMG]

3. tomk

tomk Member

4. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Not sure of the model number, but I use the Shimano 105 road pedal and I love them. They were a lot cheaper then the Ultegra, but from my research; my only loss is added weight. Not sure if that is an accurate statement, but I can say the pedals do the job. I did spend some good money on shoes with carbon soles and find the power transfer to be fantastic. Prior to these pedals I was using Shimano 105 MTB pedals. I did this so my MTB shoes could be swapped from MTB to road. Did this when I wasn't sure how serious I would get with the road bike. Turns out I ride it more then the MTB, so dedicated shoes (and road pedals) became a must.

5. tomk

tomk Member

I am beginning to wonder if I made the wrong purchase on pedals / shoes for myself.
    I am using Mavic Sprint road pedals / Specialized Sport Road shoes.

Sprint - pedals - Mavic

Specialized Bicycle Components : Sport Road Shoe

I am pretty jealous of the roadies I know who are using MTB setups and don't look like penguins waddling around when we stop at the cafe for a bagel & espresso break! Wonder if I can get some MTB shoes that will work with the Mavics?

6. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

The way I see it, I'm already walking in there in full spandex, so I doubt the way my shoes make me walk are going to increase the odd stares much. :)

On a side note, in case anyone reads this that is using the Look Keo pedals, Look makes a cleat with rubber on it that not only helps traction, but cuts down on the click-clacking. I'm using them now, and I wish I would have bought these long ago. See here: Look KEO Grip Cleats - Backed by a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee | TriVillage.com

7. tomk

tomk Member

Thanks, Xela - I'll see if I can get something similar for the Mavic!