Which is better: Rollers or Stationary Bicycle

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by roy, Nov 9, 2009.

1. roy

roy Guest

What kind of Stationary bike do you guys use? I'm thinking I would rather buy a stationary as opposed to rollers.

2. cowboycharlie

cowboycharlie New Member

I use rollers personally. Why not rollers if you already have the bike?

3. shelleyspins

shelleyspins Guest

For indoor cycling, Spinner bikes are what I am used to but the Schwinn IC Pros are great too.

Have you ever thought about participating in a group indoor cycle program? It might be a good way for you to try out the different options before you buy. In addition to health clubs which offer indoor cycle classes (some of which are better than others, ask your cycling buddies for recommendations) there are also several bike shops in my area that have indoor cycle classes on trainers. You can rent the trainer for a reasonable fee and pay for individual classes or class packages. IMHO, might be worth investigating if something like this exists in your area before spending money on equipment which you may or may not like.

4. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I've read that you can add a little resistance to roller training by deflating your tires some. What PSI do you guys use for roller training?

5. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I inflate fully to 120-130 psi (23s) Amounts less than optimum might cause excessive heat build up and wear on the tyres. Might. I have not run tyres under pressure.

Next time you ride your rollers, tape a cheap laser pointer on the bars between your hands. Aim it on the wall before you. Make it your duty to keep the left-right movement of the red dot to a minimum. This is a great way to learn quietness in the saddle. It's also a good way to train the mind not to wander while training. All riding should be done with the brain as with the body. Resist the urge to shut off your thoughts whilst spinning. This is okay for the fitness spinner at the health club but not for the racer who must get everything out a piece of work.

6. Nigal

The lazer trick is a great idea. I'll have to try that. At first I'm going to work on just not killing myself on the thing. LOL! I did a search on youtube for "roller trainer". Pretty funny stuff.

7. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Start inside a door frame so you can have something to grab with a hand. It won't take you long to get the hang.

8. Nigal

Yeah that seems to be the way to go. I'm also getting clipless peddles too but I think I'll wait a little while before putting those on.

9. petkos

petkos New Member

laser for rollers

The laser on the bars is a great idea. If you can't find one or don't have the money for one , an easy way out is to place two bands of tape 6" apart on the front roller in the center and keep the front wheel as you ride. The better you get on the rollers, move the tapes closer together. Rollers will teach you haow to spin and ride a straight line. A trainer wll teach you how to push a big gear.

10. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

petkos, the laser pointer was not for lateral drift but for wobble detection up top. You can keep your tyres dead set in the same track and still be too loose up top. It is this up top side to side wobble that the pointer beam on the wall will show. Try not to be a metronome.

11. Nigal

I got the clipless peddles put on and it's not too bad. I find the rollers very tiring just because you have to concentrate so much plus I stare at a spot on the wall to stay straight and it gets old real fast. Hopefully I'll get good enough on them to watch tv soon.

12. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

This concentration is what you are looking for. It's the whole reason a person uses rollers. Otherwise just use a stationary cycle.

Most riders never grasp that concentration of bike attitude is essential to going fast. You must be thinking about keeping the bike steady all the time. This is the only way to optimize energy transfer to the road. It's a subtle thing but the difference between being a good rider (fast) and just another bloke in the pack.

Try visualizing road ways or races or situations as you use rollers. Use your imagination. You should never be bored. Move your hands around, shift your weight on the saddle and do those things without disrupting the bike's attitude. That being the steadiness and lack of rocking back and forth. Practice changing clothing tops while riding no hands. Stand, sprint, do all that you do outside. But never let your mind go numb. If this is too boring you may have to come to realize cycling excellence is not for you. You can still get a workout, but a real workout involves the head as much as the legs.

13. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Agree. That's the reason I love my rollers. Keeps me alert. To me, that makes the time go faster. Plus, as also stated, working on those little things on the rollers does definitely make a noticable difference on the road.

14. Nigal

I'm admittedly just another bloke in the pack. Heck I'm not even that as I don't ride in a pack. LOL! I don't race and I'm just looking for a way to burn some calories this winter in hopes of having thunder thighs by spring. :)

15. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Nothing wrong with this. I tend to view all cycling as a race. Just me.

16. 3SONS4C

3SONS4C New Member

I have researched many indoor spin bikes and decided to purchase a reburished Star Trak. Any comments? I do not just want rollers. I am going to purchase some DVD's. as well. Once spring comes. I will be back outside.

17. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

No comments on the Star Trak, but check out Cycling training videos - The Sufferfest for training videos. I love them! Some reviews are here

» Do you want to explore the Pain Cave? Be warned; it’s A Very Dark Place. - Industry Outsider

and here

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f114/review-thesufferfest-videos-3519/