Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have use SPD(2 hole) on my road bike for 2 years. And now i think is time to change for real road shoes and pedal. my budget around $100+, The pedal i am thinking of are Time iclic, Shimano 6700 or Look KEO
did any one use any of them? what's the good or bad??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I use the Keo's. I have been for years. I probably have close to 20,000 miles on my Keo's. The pedals are still in great shape. I love the float and the springs are easy to adjust. Only negative, IMO, is the cleats tend to wear quicker than some other pedals' cleats my friends use. I usually go through 2 to 3 sets of cleats per year. Granted that depends on how often you are walking/putting the foot down on abrasive surfaces and your mileage in general. Last year I had just under 7500 miles on the bike and I think I used 2 sets of cleats.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
the reason i am changing from SPD to SL. Because SL can improve the transfer of power on the pedal, is this true??
Dunno much about road bike pedals. I like mtb pedals because I don't need another pair of expensive shoes to use them. Also, I like to be able to walk in my shoes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unless you are racing you are well off where you are. SPD doublesided are versatile and walkable. I started with Speedplays and one grain of sand stuck in the cleat spring would sideline me while the group rode away. And 30+ degrees of float made it very difficult to click out in emergencies. Switched to SPD and never looked back.

·
Registered
415 Posts
SPD's, love them...

Shimano 105's on the Prestige
Ultegra 6700 on the Team

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm about to start looking for pedals for my CAAD10. I've got kind of a bum knee and have heard that Speedplay pedals are good for knee issues (particularly the light action and X series).
Can anyone confirm that or think the same about other pedals?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm about to start looking for pedals for my CAAD10. I've got kind of a bum knee and have heard that Speedplay pedals are good for knee issues (particularly the light action and X series).
Can anyone confirm that or think the same about other pedals?
I try my friend's speedplay light action before. i think the pedal not tight enough. i think u can try speedplay zero

·
Registered
156 Posts
The first, and only pair of cleats i own are speedplay Frogs, and yes, i use them on my road bike. i love them! there is so much play that at first it feels like your on ice! but i find them VERY easy to get in and out, as well as being able to wear walkable shoes. I'm wondering if someone on this thread can give me a good reason to switch to REAL road peddles

·
Who put that curb there?
168 Posts
I'm wondering if someone on this thread can give me a good reason to switch to REAL road peddles
Well, the only real reason to switch to real road pedals is to be able to switch to real road SHOES. Road shoes have super-stiff soles and give an advantage in transferring your leg power to your pedals. That's it. If that isn't so important in the grand scheme of biking to someone, then stick with mountain bike pedals/shoes. My wife rides her road bike with SPD MTB pedals and wouldn't switch for the world.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, the only real reason to switch to real road pedals is to be able to switch to real road SHOES. Road shoes have super-stiff soles and give an advantage in transferring your leg power to your pedals. That's it. If that isn't so important in the grand scheme of biking to someone, then stick with mountain bike pedals/shoes. My wife rides her road bike with SPD MTB pedals and wouldn't switch for the world.
I don't think I could have gotten a better response to the question than that!

Thank you!

Mike

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The only thing I can add is don't expect to walk very far on those road shoes. Those soles that work well for the cycle make walking no fun at all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts