Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband & I are fairly new to bycling...we've been at it "lightly" for 2 summers now. We currently own Trek Hybrids but are wanting to trade up to road bikes.....Any recommendations on what's a good beginner road bike? ....tips on things that are good...and things that are not necessary?

Thanks ahead of time.....:):)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Which bike is more a matter of personal taste as you will find. Everyone rides what they like. But, it is crucial to buy a bike and have it fit you properly. You should go ride as many as you can so you can get a feel for each, then pick what you like and get a good fit. If it does not fit, it will be uncomfortable and you will likely not ride as much as you would if it did. Also, if you don't like it, you won't ride it either. Long story short - get what you like and fits you. Then ride it like you stole it! ;)

·
889 Posts
I agree with kneedrachen, a visit to your local bike shop will help a lot in your situation. I find the larger companies tend to give a little more "bang for the buck" so Giants, Specialized and Trek might be a good start.

As for must haves... helmet hands down. I would also recommend a good pair of padded shorts or bibs and perhaps some shoes and clipless pedal system if you want to get into it a little more. Other than that, gloves, a good pump and repair kit.

·
889 Posts
I don't know if it applies to you guys down south but Specialized has a Tour de France promotion going on right now so it may be a good time to consider Specialized...

·
889 Posts
We in Canada get $200, $400 or $600 worth of Specialized stuff with the purchase of a bike. I just bought my wife a Ruby Apex and got $400 worth of stuff! 3 tubes, 2 tires, a duffel bag, jersey and two cages.

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
If your out and about checking out different road bikes, pls. take a look at the Jamis Ventura line up, alum. frames or the Satellite line for steel frames. I've been VERY happy with my different Jamis purchases over the years and I'm thinking of getting a Jamis Ventura Sport come Spring 2013. Whatever you choose, ENJOY! :)

·
215 Posts
This is nothing but an opinion, just like all the others here. Personally I don't like Trek anymore, I own one but I would never buy a new one especially a lower end model. There are better alternatives out there that can give you more bang for the buck like Kona, Raleigh, Jamis Ventura Race (Femme at the end of Race is for woman) (which I think Jamis is owned by Trek?), or the Jamis Comp (Femme at end for women) if you want something under $1,000; if you must have a Trek the 1.1 and the 1.5 isn't too bad; Giant Defy 2; Specialized Allez and probably the best deal is the KHS Flite 500.

But when you go to look for a new road bike wait until mid August or so when the local bike shops (LBS) will have their end of the year closeout sales on their bikes.

Also when you test ride, don't cruise around in the parking lot, take it down the road about 3 miles and back to get a better feel for it.

Also if your comfortable with mail order bikes, there's a place called Bikes Direct (bikesdirect.com) that has even better deals then LBS's will have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update....we finally decided to go with the Trek 1.5 last month and I'm totally in love! I've shaved an avg of 2 mins per mile off my ride just from switching from the hybrid to the road bike! Now I just need to find a seat that suits by behind a little better. I have a Terry saddle coming...it'll be my 2nd try at a new seat. Hopefully this one does it for me. I absolutely hated the Adamo I tried this past week and the bontrager that came with it doesn't work for me with. :(.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
How were you with the saddle on your last bike. No rule against swapping a saddle from an old bike to a new bike.

·
Too Much Good Food
91 Posts
Seat fit / comfort is one of the most important things. My LBS let me try 4-5 till I found one that fit my fat behind.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts