Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, can you help me out here. I ride a hybrid at present and I'm looking at buying my first Road Bike. I'm torn between two Allez road bike models. The:

Allez Triple 2012 Road Bike

Allez Sport Compact 2012 Road Bike

The former 24 gear, the latter 18 gear. They're almost identical bar the gearing. I'm leaning toward the slightly more expensive Sport Compact.

Can you give me some idea of the difference or benefits between having 24 or 18 gears, and secondly what is meant by compact? Or sport compact?

Thanx Jim

·
Two skinny J's
21,509 Posts
Compact!!!
A compact has a 50 tooth big chain ring and a 34 tooth small chain ring typically. A standard double would be considered a 53/39 vs the 50/34 compact.

A triple is the most horrible setup there is and because of cross chaining you really don't end up with 24 usable gears anyway. I suppose if you lived in the mountains and really needed the extra gearing it would be feasible but even SRAM's new setup kinda does away with that anyway :D

http://www.sram.com/sram/road/family/sram-apex

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Easy choice... Compact. Even some of the mountain bike crowd is starting to move from a triple setup to a compact setup.

·
889 Posts
+1 for Compact. I have the Roubaix Elite with compact gearing and love the range.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx for the info, I currently have a Carrera hybrid 24 gears and although I might only use about 50% of them I have noticed using the extreme on low and highest of the 3 chain rings its impossible to adjust to the point of getting absolutely no chain rub off the derail cage due to the cross chaining and thus have it set up for use of chain rings 2 & 3 as I never need the option of dropping to the lowest ring even on steep inclines.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Interesting that you seam to not like triples I would not want any thin but a triple. I can get every gear on my 50-39-30 by 11-34, 9 speed, I only have to move the front derailer to the detent inbetween the shifts. just a simple click of the brifters on the drop bar or a click of the thumb on the flat bar 3x10. yes I did have to ajuste it every once in a wile for the first 1,000 miles but after that not much stretch in the cable.
My ¢¢

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm with Wild, I have had both and like the triple...main reasons are where I live, in the sierra's there are no flats and a couple places I ride are over 24% grades and no matter the numbers those lil nasties are better with the triple...also at 60yrs old I want all the options, I use all the gears, over 20k mi on my Roubaix and gears are evenly worn, LBS mechanic can't tell which gears I use most...I also don't notice much x-chain clatter, but I keep cables well adjusted...just my opinion DrB

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
Put me in as a FAN of the triple also, I've ridden with a compact double and it seemed I couldn't find "just the right gear" as easy as with my triple, jmho, ymmv.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx guys, I just ordered the Allez Elite, slightly more than the sport but with better components, ready for me on Sunday. :))

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't told the wife yet, and she won't understand why I've bought another bike when I got a perfectly good bike already in the garage (hybrid)
You guys are great answering all things bike related ... So what's my excuse? :))))

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picked it up from CycleSurgery store in London today, only done about a mile and half but it certainly shifts. The guy in store suggested 56cm frame for my 33in inside leg, which I went with, although I've looked at cycle size charts and they seem to suggest 58cm frame for a person my height 6 foot. There is a 2" gap between the top of my inner leg (crotch) and the bar, would you feel that is the norm?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
also a triple fan , but would say ive also ben looking at the Specialized Allez Sport Compact 2012 Road Bike and after talking to people who have them they totally love it ,i have the carrera hybrid subway limited edition and totally love it but now need a good road bike and the compact is the one i will be buying ,have fun on your steed mate and stay safe...colin.

·
889 Posts
Picked it up from CycleSurgery store in London today, only done about a mile and half but it certainly shifts. The guy in store suggested 56cm frame for my 33in inside leg, which I went with, although I've looked at cycle size charts and they seem to suggest 58cm frame for a person my height 6 foot. There is a 2" gap between the top of my inner leg (crotch) and the bar, would you feel that is the norm?
The set up looks good. It's better to go with a slightly smaller frame because you can always swap out the stem and seat post.

Remember, the chart will only give you an approximate and does not account for differences in manufacturers geometries. As long as you are comfortable on the bike, that's what's most important anyway. But looking at the set up, it looks normal.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
First let me say nice bike. as for the size bikes are so different evean thuogh the stand over might be the same the top tube and the seat tube angle play a role on how you fit on the bike. If the seat tube has a grator angle it will make you more stretched out on the bike, if the top tube is longer it will do the same thing. I don't see why thay put so mutch on the frame size alone. Sounds like your bike shop feels the same way.
My ¢¢

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Your bars appear to be quite a bit lower than your saddle. A six foot tall bicycle racer typically sets bars 2-4 inches below saddle height. Tourists, commuters and sport/fitness riders often prefer handlebars level or even a little bit higher than their saddles.

It's a trade off between performance (aerodynamic advantage) vs. comfort. If you decide you want less of the former and more of the latter, you can replace the stem with one that tilts up more. Often flipping the stem will do the trick, but your stem looks pretty close to 90º, so flipping it probably won't change your position much.

If it feels good, ride it!

Standover height is nice for when you stop for a traffic light, but doesn't matter when you're actually riding, so most roadies don't worry too much about that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts