Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All of us have tried a few different tires over the years of cycling. If you have finally settled on one specific tire, let us know what it is and why you chose it.
If you use a different tire for different seasons, please give the details.
For me, I still haven't settled on a specific tire. Mostly, I've leaned toward Michelin, because they invented the bike tire. More recently, I have read good info about Continental and I am using one (1) right now.
I hope to gain insight from the wealth of "knowledge" which is this forum.:D

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'm using Continental Gatorskins on the Cannondale hybrid. Lots of miles on these and my favorite, I've worn out many. I've put Schwalbe Durano on my Marin 'flat bar road' hybrid , but not many miles on them yet. Look nice, minimal tread, thick where the rubber hits the road but very thin, compliant sidewall. I think the thin sidewall factors into the smooth ride these tires provide and reduce weight, but there is a risk that a clumsy rider like myself might run up against a curb or something.

My primary concern is puncture resistance, these tires were selected because they are designed to be flat resistant. I did not like the Armadillos. Heavy and slow.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I really like the Conti GP 4000S. Put a set on last September and have been very pleased with them. Saw them on sale the other day so have a second set sitting on the shelf for when these wear out. I believe both Hazy and Rola also are running them. Maybe they'll chime in on their thoughts on them.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Conti Ulta-Gatorskins (now called Hardshells) in a 25 cm width are one my Colnago. They took some very hard riding on some very rough roads in this years MS 150 and never so much as lost a pound of air. With the lower pressure of the Gatorskins (95 psi max) and the 25 cm width on a carbon bike, it's one smooth ride.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Conti GP 4000S +1

·
Registered
415 Posts
Running Michelin Pro 4's (23mm) on my main set of wheels and Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks (25mm) on the other.

The Michelin's are used for my day time rides, where I can see whats coming up ahead in the road.

The Vittoria's are for night time and Colonial parkway/Yorktown battlefield rides where I can't see things at night and the rough chip seal roads of the parkway..

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
2 months of riding on the Conti's. :thumbsup: so far. They are a very sticky tire and so far have been able to withstand the rough pavement I ride on. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
My LHT has 7,400 mi on a set of 26 x 1.75 Conti Travel Contacts Had 4 or 5 flats, but two were valve stems that gave out.

My wife's Jamis Aurora has 3,100 mi on a set of 700 x 32 Vittori Randonneur Touring tires with only one flat.

Both bikes have seen a good number of miles loaded on gravel roads or crushed stone trails.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Vittori randonneur pro touring tire here allso, 700x32, allmost 6,000 miles on the front and I had around 4,000 on the rear when I changed it. I baught 3 more for down the road ;):D

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have use several Michelin pro 2 and 3 over the past few years.
Although they were fine rolling tires, nearly every one ended with puncture wounds (not sidewall).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have ridden on Hutchinson, Vitoria Evo, and Michelin krylion carbon and some budget
tires (which was a mistake never to be repeated).
By far my best experience so far has been with
the Krylion carbon tires. They simply last
forever, are pretty light, and handle pretty
good, not as good as the Vitoria evo CX
tires, but then fixing flats on the side of
the road is not my favorite pastime.
Unfortunately they discontinued this tire.
I hope that the successor is as good. But you can still buy them at many shops and internet
suppliers, at least for now.

·
717 Posts
Michelin Pro 3 race with latex tubes ... great road feeling
and Michelin Krylon Carbon on my commuter bike ....

x2 on teh Michelin Krylon Carbon...check for sales as they can be $$

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Tires today are ten fold of what they were 20 years ago. I have had good luck with many tires over the years and tend to look for them discounted on clearance. For instance Vredestain Ricoroso Se road tires purchased from nashbar at 11.99 each have lasted me almost 1500 miles flat free so far. I wish I bought more because they are no longer available.
Others that have served me well:
Maxxis Fuse
Maxxis Detonator
Hutchinson Intensive Road
The best gage of what works is what works for you. I am sure the tires I use and are happy with may not fair well in your area.
Worst tire I ever owned was Michelin Dynamic. If you need to learn how to repair flats by all means put these on your bike and you will be practicing.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe I'm going to give the Continental 4000's a try.
Since I already have one on the bike, might was well head that direction.

Does anyone use the Specialized Tires?
I have one on the front of my bike, but it is about ready for replacement.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I believe I'm going to give the Continental 4000's a try.
Since I already have one on the bike, might was well head that direction.

Does anyone use the Specialized Tires?
I have one on the front of my bike, but it is about ready for replacement.
How has the tire treated you? If you had it on the bike long enough to wear out you now have an idea of how long it will last along with it's puncture resistance and ride quality.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nahh,
I bought the bike used.
It had Specialized tires front & rear, but the rear had damage so they sent me the new Continental.

The first 400 miles on the bike involved several setup changes. I didn't really begin to push harder until after then. Not that I'm an I overly aggressive rider. Now with an additional few miles, I only realize the need for a little fine tuning on the setup. I also know, as I slowly reach that good old "oneness with the bike feeling," I want to have good tires that stick, roll easily and won't leave me waiting for my "pit crew" to pile in the car to "rescue Daddy."
Until recently, I have only given passing thoughts toward the tires. However, these thoughts are coming more frequently.

I appreciate everyone's comments.

·
215 Posts
Conti's are way over rated. I buy whatever tire I find on sale for less then $30 and got high reviews, and I've been very happy with whatever tire I got doing it that way.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Conti's are way over rated. I buy whatever tire I find on sale for less then $30 and got high reviews, and I've been very happy with whatever tire I got doing it that way.
I'd have to politely to disagree with ya. I've used the Michelson Pro3, the Vittoria Diamanta Pro (http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f82/new-tyres-5603/) and hated those more than any other I have used! I always felt like I was riding on flats with those and happy to see them go. Bontrager R3, and who knows what others.

I actually like the the Bontrager R3 but LOVE the Conti 4000s tyres! They feel fast, handle well, and make for a smooth ride. I don't feel the road come up through the forks and seat stays like on the R3's or some others so I gota say in no way are they over rated!

Kinda like Goodyear vs Michelin on a car. They way out perform any Goodyears I've EVER purchased, road noise, ride quality, wear. Get what ya pay for :D

That's my story and I'm sticking ( yes, pun intended ) to it !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts