Which water bottle cage?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by dddiam, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dddiam

dddiam New Member

Please recommend a water bottle cage. My water bottle is too fat for a standard cage. It is a 25-oz. Eco-Vessel Insulated Stainless Steel Bottle (click the link). The waist is 77 mm and the base and top are is 86 mm in diameter.

My bicycle has standard frame-mount cage mounting bolts.

I am thinking that a side-access cage might work, but most of the web ads do not mention what size bottles the cages can accommodate.

2. gs46

gs46 Pedaling Old Man

You may try an aluminum wire cage and modify it by bending it to the shape you need.

3. dddiam

dddiam New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I had tried that, but the new shape would not grip the bottle. I considered adding a velcro strap, but I need to find one, and I do not know how secure it will be.

Alternatively I might try a side access cage. That might grip the smaller waist of the bottle, without needing to get around the wider base. I found a couple of side-access cages on the web, but have not seen them in stores.

I posted this question because large capacity, double-walled bottles are becoming more common-place, so I thought that large form-factor cages might be also be hitting the market to accommodate them.

4. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  5. tomk

tomk Member

Maybe Because it is heavier and hard to open while riding?:confused:

6. dddiam

dddiam New Member

Thank you for all of your suggestions. The Topeak Modula Cage looks like a possibility. I will try one, and if it works, I will buy my wife one.

I do have some personal preferences, requirements and biases with regard to water bottles. It is not a common perspective, but FWIIW, I will share it.

We do not drink out of plastic bottles. Even BPA-free plastic is controversial, especially if it comes in contact with anything citrus in the water or with a hot liquid. All plastics leach petrochemicals. Alluminum causes Alzheimer’s disease. Stainless steel is safest. Double-walled stainless steel keeps your drink cold and minimizes sweating.

The user reviews and ratings for various bottles vary considerably. After much research, we settled on these bottles. A 25-oz bottle is about right for a short trip. We do not refill bottles with unfiltered tap water. That is also a controversial area, having to do with acceptable carcinogen levels.

Finally, we bought the bottles before we bought the bikes. It is hard to find the best bottle; it is hit or miss whether or not you will like it when it arrives; and we already have a financial and time investment in our current bottles.

Why throw away our favorite bottles when we simply need to find a cage that fits.

Other people would make different value judgments and decisions, but that is ours.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  7. tomk

tomk Member

dddiam - just having fun with you! Topeak makes pretty good stuff. Well - you put a lot of thought into your bottle choice.

I've been using standard size cages and bottles on my bikes for almost 20 years now - the bottles are recyclable, cheap, light and replacements can be found almost anywhere. Otherwise I use a refillable stainless bottle for normal drinking water when running around and travel. We use PuR filters at home for a drinking and cooking water as well.

However, I have been curious about the potential dangers of the mold release and tooling oils - not to mention the iron and other metal particles - that get transferred to stainless during the manufacturing process. In my experience a lot of stainless bottles, at least when new, impart a very "off" taste to the water that eventually goes away after repeated washings. Electro-polishing to a near mirror finish would be the safest way to treat the inside of a water bottle - very much like stainless fittings used in food preparation. I realize that stainless is considered a safer alternative to plastic.....but a lot of stainless bottles are now made in china and sold very cheaply - too cheaply IMHO. That makes me wonder about the quality of the washing and polishing process and what is left on the stainless. As I recall from my engineering days....most food fittings and vessels were made from 304L stainless.

Good luck with the Topeak! I hope it works for you.

8. dddiam

dddiam New Member

Thanks, Tom.

When new, I soaked the bottle in white vinegar and baking soda. Rinsed it in that solution, and then with clear water. That is probably a good initial treatment for any kitchen appliance, also.

I used PuR for many years, but was not satisfied with the results. Only when we switched from filtered water to spring water, did my wife's teeth stop staining. I found a web site with comparitive water filter specs, and the PuR specs were so-so. Then we gave up on bottled spring water for many reasons. We found a new filter with excellent specs and lab reports -- the New Wave Enviro 10-Stage Filter, which sits beside your kitchen sink. Expensive but excellent filtration (they claim that it costs about 7 cents per gallon). If you like, I can send you the lab reports.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  9. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Now I don't know the brand think made by Bell and it's at Wally world they make one with an adjustable strap that will hold quart size Gatorade bottles. That might work for you it's got if I recall correctly a rubber strap to adjust to the size of your bottle.

10. momule

momule New Member

I fill my water bottles from the hose in the yard and then freeze them in the spare fridge in the garage. Been doing it like that most of my life. My water comes from a backyard well and if I let it sit for a while the sediment settles to the bottom....just iron, no big deal. I have all my teeth, my kids have theirs and they don't have cancer and my grandbabies will be raised the same way. Goodness, with the concern over the water that you have it's a wonder that you ride a bike in our filthy air. Hey, something's going to kill you eventually so just relax and enjoy your time. You seem a bit OCD to me...