Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what peoples thoughts are on white bike frames, I'm more interested in the thoughts of people who actually have one and use it, but all experience is welcomed

Are they hard to keep clean? Do they stay looking nice?

(I know white grip tape won't but that's another story)

I'm looking into a new bike and I've been shying away form anything white but its looking like my best deal at the moment is in white so I want to know if my apprehensions are founded.

Thanks

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
While mine is not completely white I LOVE IT! Not any harder than any other to keep clean. I do have white hoods and they do need to be cleaned regularly or they can get nasty quick :D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have both a Specialized Roubaix and Specialized Sirrus which are both white and honestly they're not that hard to keep clean. If I go riding after it's been raining of course they get dirty but a quick cleaning and they look good as new. I'd do the same thing it they were black.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Don't know about bicycles, but white was the main color when I dealt with airplanes for a good reason. White is cooler than any other color and some of the airplanes I dealt with at that time had an upper temperature limit on when you could fly them. Heat isn't good for CF

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Don't know about bicycles, but white was the main color when I dealt with airplanes for a good reason. White is cooler than any other color and some of the airplanes I dealt with at that time had an upper temperature limit on when you could fly them. Heat isn't good for CF
:D all the aircraft I dealt with were greyyyyyyy :D

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
grin I wonder why?? Still my experience with airplanes is old, technology marches on. I should also point a hole in my own point in that we tend to think of CF as a single material. It isn't. In fact different fabrics, materials and the way the fibers are positioned make tons of difference in the properties of the final product.

·
Registered
415 Posts
:D all the aircraft I dealt with were greyyyyyyy :D
Mine started out european 1 camo, then european 2 camo and now all grey...

Somewhere in europe back in the mid 80's. This is european 2, european 1 had a white belly...(yes thats me)

Upper Heyford, UK in the late 80's..

I have a white/black bike and its a lot easier to see the dirt when its dirty, but the white bar tape gets dirty fast and I'm going to black when I change it.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Mine started out european 1 camo, then european 2 camo and now all grey...

Somewhere in europe back in the mid 80's. This is european 2, european 1 had a white belly...(yes thats me)
True enough when I came in and was at Spangdalhem and Seymour Johnson the F-4's were painted camo WAY back in the day :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
True enough when I came in and was at Spangdalhem and Seymour Johnson the F-4's were painted camo WAY back in the day :)

F-4's eh!!! F-4's proved that anything with a big enough engine could fly... lol
What did you do on them?

I was a crew chief on KC-135's at Wurtsmith AFB in michigan for my first 3 years. Crosstrained to C-130's and was a flying crew chief at Pope AFB, NC, Sembach AB Germany and Little Rock AFB, AR.

24 years and 35 countries later I retired....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I opted to go for the black frame even though I will have to wait two weeks longer to get it, I thought the white looked cooler and a bit flashier which was ultimately why I didn't get it. Cooler and Flashier means higher target for theft and since my bike unfortunately spends a fair amount of time in bike racks a little less cool looking can be a good thing.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well I know a photog that never worried about getting his camera gear stolen. He has left it all over and no one has ever touched it. Why? Instead of using a camera bag he bought a quality diaper bag. Packs the camera gear Pampers for padding. It actually protects the gear well and he keeps one of what he calls his secret repellant right on top. A few of the Pampers he doctors with a bit of brown shoe polish. They looked used and who wants to grab it to find out its not???

With a bike though Id get what I wanted and get a beater that if it got stolen I wouldn't stress over it IF you are worried about it being in a rack.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
So Mark, you're saying maybe a little brown shoe polish on the bike seat might be a good theft deterrent??? I guess if you were so inclined, you could also lay a BabyRuth on the seat for extra protection! ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
giant diaper bag

unfortunately I don't think anyone makes a diaper bag big enough to hide my bike in, if my boss would just let me stick it in the office all would be well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well scratch that Cannondale cannot seem to get their act together and keeps pushing back their release dates so I'm getting a white one as they are available now.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
well scratch that Cannondale cannot seem to get their act together and keeps pushing back their release dates so I'm getting a white one as they are available now.
Good choice :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
White ones are faster :)

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I have a white trek and love it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts