Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i'm fairly new to cycling ...and this forum too :D. Anyway i had a question. there is a road bike (at least i think it's a road bike) for sale around where i live and it's a called White's Performer. I had never heard of this brand before and tried to research it and found nothing on the brand. Does anyone know anything about it? i'll put a link to the ad on craigslist. The guy wants $20 for it but it does need work so i don't know if it's a good deal?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated
leon

1970's White's Performer 12 speed bicycle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it depends on what your definition is of "handy"...i mean i've never worked bicycles but i do think i'm mechanically inclined. But i was more wondering if this is a solid enough beginners bike? i mean like i said i've never of heard of it. Also i'm pretty short so i don't know if road bikes are by nature tall bikes, are they?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I Google'd it and it seems to use 26" tires, kind of hard to tell in the picture but my eye ruler says it looks to be about 20" from crank to seat so it's not a big bike I am 5'6 and would probably be pretty comfortable on it. I am still new to this stuff but learning as I go, I never heard of that kind but thats not surprising due to my lack of experience. For 20 bux it would probably be a good base to start with, ecspecially if you are looking to learn a little on bike mechanics. For the most part if it is 26" tires and tubes they are cheap enough at Walmart. The rest would be cleaning and checking bearings for wear then re-greasing or replacing them. It appears to have a one piece crank so very simple and easy to get bearings for if needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
White's Performer road bike

I've got one for sale on Craigslist and don't know much more about it
than you do. However, when I was cleaning it up to be sold, I removed a
small paper tag that named a town in Texas and referred to "White's
Department Store" or something like that. I'm not sure, but the bike
may be what we call a "department store" bike. A chain of department stores
will contract with a bike manufacturer to build them a bike they can put
their label on. Sears did that with World Pool and created the Kenmore
washing machine. The units are identical except for the control panel.

·
Registered
95 Posts
@Oldschool, Whites was indeed a department store at one time, but I believe they got swallowed up by the Walmarts of the world long ago. As such, I would expect such a bicycle to be a rebranded Schwinn level or somesuch bicycle.

Whites (again I believe) was gone LONG before the invention of 700c or even 29" wheels.

Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts