Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting on this hub to be released since this time last year. I hear rumors that I may have a chance to own one before x-mas of this year. I've already built a front wheel (vintage Shimano hub, Sun CR18 rim, fancy European spokes) I suppose I can go ahead and order a matching rim for the rear but I can't get spokes until I have the hub for measurements.

The S3X is going to be awesome! :love: :thumbsup:

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know this foumr is still in it's infancy but since no one has commented on this yet I'll assume that (A) people here don't know what I'm talking about or (B) No one likes me.

I hope it's A.

The S3X is an internal gear hub being produced by Sunrace Sturmy Archer that is very much like the 3-speed hubs we've all been riding since the 50's. (I was born in 1985 so I haven't technically been riding them that long but you get the idea) The thing that makes the S3X unique is that all 3 gears are fixed and do not allow the bicycle to freewheel. This hub will be awesome for people like me who love the "zen" of fixed gear but also accept the reality that one gear ratio is very rarely enough for lengthy rides over mixed terrain. Rumors I'm hearing indicate that the hub may be released to the public as soon as late October.

S3X link: Sunrace Sturmey Archer News: S3X Fixed Gear 3 Speed

Picture:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey now that I know what this is, I want one too - how much? It would work better on a bike with cable routing for the shifter but I would put it on my Fremont.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
On the 9th of this month, Dave told me that he doesn't expect them to arrive for about 90 days.

I'm considering one for my upcoming project bike.

·
SCREW COASTING
9 Posts
A Revelation

I am in debt to HandsomeRyan. I'd sworn off riding geared, but age and a knee that's now experiencing "trauma induced pre-arthritis" (old injury > surgery, pre-orthoscopic)--that makes it damned difficult to start up again at stops with the ol' efficiency--had me thinking that I might have to go back to a cassette freewheel. OMG, no! Then I stumbled across Ryan's post. Revelation, big time. I've now got the S3X hub built around a Deep V (36H) rim and hope to start commuting full time on it next week. Just waiting for the SA set of cogs (14t-17t for experimenting with 48t chainring) to arrive in my mail box. At $6/cog, I'll happily wait fur 'em.

Thank you, HandsomeRyan.

Any members using this fantastical hub?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well how much do you love it? I hear that it takes a little getting used to changing gears and having no lag time with your legs. What do you think? Is it durable?

·
SCREW COASTING
9 Posts
First impression - commuting

^ I can't comment on durability, yet. But overall my first impressions are favorable.

(Sorry for the poor quality pic.)

I think it performs nicely for what I want it to do, which is to allow me to get going from dead stops on upward slopes on my commute without popping my knee. I think it will be helpful on those cold, windy, wet commutes home where I just don't have the juice and I can shift all the way to 1st, esp. on the bits of natural path trail I ride where mud slows down the spin. My plan is to keep it in direct drive for my preferred gearing (48x17 or 16). If I flat this winter, then I won't have to twiddle with adjusting the shifter in the dark as well as fixing the flat.

The lash is okay, helps me work on keeping my spinning smooth. When shifting, important to ease off pedal pressure and make sure the shifter has clicked into place. Adjusting the shifter is pretty simple stuff (as long as one has sufficient light to see).

The axle seems a little dainty--I've broken hardier ones in the past. We'll see.

Right now I will stick to my regular fg hubs for weekend pleasure cruises--lighter bike, no gear, fewer knee issues.

More experiences when I have 'em. Yes, it does add to the fun-factor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts