Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious and I am like many here that had a very long time off between childhood riding and now. I wonder who has the longest unbroken streak in years. I had a long break like most.

Sprocket girl has a 20 year streak going, but someone must be able to beat that. I am amazed at the changes in technology of something so simple, in the 20+ years I was away. I missed a lot of the evolution that took place.

In a way I look back and think about the roads I missed, but then again I think if I had not had the break I might not appreciate the roads now.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I guess that depends on what you consider to be a break. I got my first bike around 4, and have always had one or more that have been ridden regularly since then. The only exception has been time off due to really bad weather, or my surgeries.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Injury or illness doesn't count as breaking the streak. Everyone has recovery times for one reason or another, but during that time you wanted to be on a bike. As long as you had the desire to ride, and a bike on which to ride, its still good even if health prevented it for a while.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
i have honestly ridden a bike at least twenty miles everyday since August 15th 2006... many days are closer to the 40 mile mark and a lot are between 60-100. an example would be i rode 16 miles to work then 3 miles to a trail then 12 miles on a trail then 14 miles home. that was last wednesday when some friends wanted to trail ride our mtbs. they did 12 but it gave me 45 or so.
i have ridden almost everyday since i was 4 but took some days off and had some shorter rides back in my younger years.

·
12,350 Posts
I have a denim jacket that's roughly the same age as SG. :)

This week, I couldn't even work on my bike, let alone ride. Twice a year, at the peak of allergy season, I get a chest infection that sometimes turns into pneumonia. So I haven't been able to use any paint stripper, as it would probably kill me, and a mask would restrict my breathing too much. At the doctor's today, I listed my allergies - two medications, and Utah. I am allergic to Utah. Seriously.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have lots of things older than SG, but this isn't an everyday streak. For that matter I have a few cameras that are older than I am, much less SG. Though it really takes something to have a 20 year streak at 19, that's accomplish when you are born with a multi tool in one hand and a bottle of chain oil in the other. grin Still everyone has times where they want to ride and can't. It's the want to that keeps the streak alive. The streak is broken when you don't have a bike, or have a bike that sits in the garage with no desire to ride it.

I've never been allergic the way Hack is, but this time of year my asthma is problematic at times. With the wildfires, I think some soot from the winds is making this far. Its the passion to ride that I am interested to see who has the longest streak. I am interested to see what keeps one motivated to stay involved in the sport for say 50 or 65 years if anyone here has been riding that long.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
blessed with no health problems is the greatest assistant to the 5 year ride streak...

Hack,
i loves you, but not you allergies... feel better soon.

totally agree Mark, if one wants to ride and loves to ride that is what counts most... the smell of tri-flow does remind me of my childhood make me happy and at the same time make me hungry... the first two parts make since the last is a mystery of life.

i believe if i met a guy smelling of tri-flow i would throw myself at him....

·
Who put that curb there?
168 Posts

·
12,350 Posts
A little dab of Tri Flow behind each ear before I head to Interbike...

I hate to whine about my allergies, but it's far more than seasonal allergies, and kinda interesting. Structurally, my nose/sinus cavities, throat, tongue and palate all work against me as far as breathing. My doctor described it all as "cramped", and the airways are all too small to get Olympic-sized volumes of air to my lungs. Looking back over the years, I have been an awesome sprinter, but terrible climber. Riding all day long has never been a problem, unless you asked me to turn up the wick a bit. Now I know why. And all this is made much worse by the dry air we have in the high desert. Had I continued to live near the beach, or at least someplace with some humidity, I wouldn't have needed any drugs or surgeries.

If I want to continue to ride as I get past my prime, (that's 40 years away for me ;)) I'll need to move to somewhere more forgiving.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ANNOUNCING A NEW CYCLING COLOGNE FOR MEN

Tri Flow for Men

As seen on TV. Comes in a mister so you get just the right amount and in a pinch can be used to stop the noises on a bike chain. That half oz bottle is only 19.95, but wait. If you order now, we will ship not one bottles right to your door. Ask your operator about express shipping.

·
Who put that curb there?
168 Posts

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
A guy named Jim Langley has a streak going of like 12 to 15 years riding at least an hour a day. Sprocketgirl, as much as you ride you should be using Chain-L. I just started using it last summer and it lasts and quiets down the drivetrain. It's thick and messy to apply but if you follow instructions you can go 1000 miles on your chain without having to relube.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
i hear a lot about Chain-L but it is super messy and a while back when i toured Campagnolo in Vicenza Italy i asked them what the best product to put on their drive trains was... they gave me a box of Campy Grease the stuff they grease the parts when they package them with and a bucket and by bucket i mean a bucket of the lube they use when they put a chain together. i have a cool little suction thingy that takes the stuff out of the bucket and helps me to get it on the chain..... it works great and Campy does not sell it but uses it and recommends it so it must be pretty good.
nonetheless i still think Tri-Flow smells the best but my road bikes get the mystery Campy juice and my mtb gets White Lightening clean ride after every other ride(unless bad weather or super hard ridde then it gets it after every ride). it does not protect or last like oils but the wax base is great for dirt and i would rather lube more than have the nasty mess that dirt and oils make when mixed.

i may try the Chain-L on my commuter as a test to see if i like it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts