Who rides singlespeed and why?

Discussion in 'Fixed & Singlespeed' started by hophead, Aug 7, 2009.

1. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Last night after our regular Thursday night ride, a guy came up to a group of us who were hanging out at the trail head having post ride beers and asked if we were all riding singlespeeds and why? I look around and probably 75% of our bikes were singlespeeds. The overwhelming response was because it was like riding a bike when we were kids. You just get on and ride. No worries about shifting, when to shift, or what's the best gear to be in.

I ride singlespeed about 95% of the time--road & mtn, but mostly mtn. I haven't been on a geared road bike at all this year.

So why do you all ride singlespeed?

2. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Its all about having fun to me. I love to ride my SS as long as I am in shape to do so. There are those seasons, like this one, that my saddle time has been so little that the SS can be a little less fun than others just b/c it kicks my butt so much. Riding a SS can also teach you alot about momentum which will help you a lot if you do decide to ride a geared bike again.

3. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

easier to maintain, I can concentrate on the terrain instead of worrying about my gear and any spots where I'm going to need to make a fast shift, and for some reason the technical sections of the mountain bike trails I ride on seem to be easier using a singlespeed.

4. hophead

That's what they make the 20t cog for.;)
    I totally agree! I recently tried riding some rocky technical trails on my full squish Rocky and it sucked! The down hill was fun but riding through the flat and uphill rock gardens was very difficult on that bike. I guess that it was more the squishy suspension than the superfluous gears that hindered me. I like having a suspension fork on a hardtail frame for rock gardens. Also, singlespeeds don't have dangling shifty bits to get ripped off by rocks.:eek:

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I ride a single speed most of the time. I really like simplicity of it. It's kind of a lifestyle thing that bleeds into biking. I still ride a multi when I do long distance treks.

6. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

I love the single-speed for running around town and cruising to a buddies place for a few beers. The only worry I have on a SS is getting a flat. But, with good tires and liners, that thing is almost bullet-proof. I much preffer a possible drunk in public charge over a DUI. Anytime I wanna grab some drinks but don't have a driver home or a place to stay, I'm on the bike.

7. hophead

Why are flats a problem on your ss? Just carry an extra tube, multi tool, and a CO2 inflator in a seat bag and your good to go. That is, unless you get two flats.

8. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I rarely get flats in my road bike. My mountain bike is whole different story.

9. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

Flats are just a pain in general. I carry the spare stuff needed. I just hate dealing with it. That's pretty much the only weakness found on a fixed gear bike though.

10. Andrew

Andrew New Member

For me, fixed = simplicity and control. I love the direct, part of the machinery feel to riding fixed. Climbing is much easier on it (than in the equivalent gear inch on a geared bike) and it's a real motivation knowing that you have to get to the top in the one gear you have, no bail out!

I started riding fixed around 5 years ago (excluding any childhood tricycle!) when I used to live in central London (UK). I was a bit unsure at first and had a few incidents but persevered and now love it. It is now my prefered ride.

I've never off-roaded on fixed though... well, nothing significant anyway.

11. BikingViking

BikingViking Guest

I prefer not having to shift all the time when I'm riding

12. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

Simplicity of bike, simplicity of mind. I ride single speed when I'm with less aggressive multi speed riders to level the playing field. I also enjoy my bullet proof 35c tires.

13. fatandslow

fatandslow New Member

I don't understand why a ss would be more likely to get a flat than any other bike.

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

My new BMX only has one gear. It's nice to not be overburdened with choices.

15. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

It's not. But if you've got 15mm axle nuts instead of a QR, it's a pain.

16. hophead

Here's another weakness:

Catastrophic drive train failure. I only lost one rider on my Thursday night ride last week and he was on a fixie. Reason was that his chain exploded. It broke in three places ending his ride.

Here's another one from a couple of years ago on the booze cruze:
    [​IMG]

17. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

Yeah, I crush sprockets and explode chains alot too:rolleyes:.

These aren't fixie specific but may be abuse related. I suppose a fixie may average more moments at high torque but well below hardware limits.

BTW I find flat repair takes 7 min. on my fixie instead of 5 on my multi-spd. It takes 2 minutes longer to adjust the chain. I ride Oneway with 35c, 75 psi bullet proof tires compared to my 23c 120 psi 18 spd.

18. jwcart10

jwcart10 New Member

i have two bikes... both singlespeed. one commuter/cross-ish fixie beater that i love and will never get rid of. its nothing special but it caused me to fall in love with biking again after a spell of annoying trips to the mechanic with my gear bikes. my second is my new surly 1x1 ss mountain bike. i've only been able to take off-road a couple of times due to weather. ssing is about simplicity... very little maintenance, the ride becomes about the ride.

19. KC-Steve

KC-Steve New Member

He-he, I posed this same question to a young guy (20s to 30s) at my LBS and his answer was basically, "because it's cool." I don't really know whether his answer was tainted by the fact that they would like to sell high-end multi-speed bikes, but his answer didn't seem to help me understand why anyone would want a single-speed.

You see, my family was too poor to afford even a 10-spd Schwinn when I was young so I rode whatever I was given, but always wished for a 10-speed in the mid 1960s. So I have A LOT of trouble understanding why anyone would want one today. :)

Steve

20. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

because its more work

I have quite a few bikes and I can get a good workout on my fixed gear( Its a "Superman" inspired time trial frame I built with a very long top tube) when I ride about ten miles and the next day comes around, I'm a bit sore but I still have grin on my face.

Granted When I was riding home I got passed by a neighbor because he could dive around the corners, still I would not trade in that ride or the feeling I got for the world. :cool:

Mike Frye the bike guy