Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No...not that!! I was checking out a little blog called Fluke Homebrew and he did a spiel on smokers. After my Seattle trip and a brisket on in a smoker I'm thinking about trying it myself. Never done it before but it does taste and smell sooooo good!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
My neighbor used to walk everywhere, and recently got an older Marin MTB with slicks. Now he's planning on doing some touring. Guy goes out and rides 40 miles like it's nothing, three weeks after getting his bike. Wants to know how to improve his climbing. My advice? Put out your cigarette.

On topic, I slow cook ribs, but haven't gotten into smoking.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
My cousin Frank is big into smoking. He also likes drinking brown ales. We went over his house for a party two weeks ago and he had his smoker going all day. Good food, good beer,good time.

Go ahead Rola and take the plunge. You can incorporate the smoker into cycling. Prepare the meat get the smoker going invite your friends for a group ride. You could ride a century in the amount of time it takes to smoke the meats. Best damd BBQ at the end of your ride for sure.

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy cow is nothing cheap anymore? Might have to back up and look at a Weber or something..

http://langbbqsmokers.com/

I love to grill just not sure how this translates.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Years ago I had a Big Green Egg purchased for me as a gift. I would never cook any other way. Everything comes out great. In the years since getting the egg 4 friends have purchased it after Dinner at our house. Check it out at
www.biggreenegg.com Highly recommended:D

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Years ago I had a Big Green Egg purchased for me as a gift. I would never cook any other way. Everything comes out great. In the years since getting the egg 4 friends have purchased it after Dinner at our house. Check it out at
I've actually seen that one! They smoke a lot of meat @ http://www.kelsickmarket.com/ which is where I get a lot of my craft beer form. Never even thought about that one! Good call Buffalo!

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
I've actually seen that one! They smoke a lot of meat @ http://www.kelsickmarket.com/ which is where I get a lot of my craft beer form. Never even thought about that one! Good call Buffalo!
This one isn't cheap either! but I've owened it since hurricane Ivan Nailed the florida panhandle in 2004. My Cousin lives in pensacola and after Ivan, I took 10 days vacation and went down and redrywalled her house from 4' down. She bought it for me as a gift the day I left. Point is it's 8 years old and it still looks and works perfect. I've never had a propane grill last 1/2 as long. And this one is still going strong!!!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Buffalo-jon said:
I got the XL Egg as a Christmas present a few years back. I added a BBQ Guru to it as a birthday present last year! Total <3!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
SixtyPlus said:
I will offer a simple "be careful" when smoking! You can over smoke and ruin some good meat!
Yep, there is a fine line. I've found apple wood probably gets used the most by me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A guy is invited to a dinner party, and being a photography buff brings sone photos to share. The hostess admires them and comments that he must have some really nice cameras. He says nothing, but after enjoying the meal compliments the hostess on the food and tells her she must have some really nice pots and pans. The point is it's not all about the tools, but the craft the artist instills into the piece. You can get dynamite results from a Weber kettle, a Little Chief, and poor results from the most expensive ones. Decide what you want to smoke, talk to lots of smokers, and research. The guys where I work favor the Traeger line, FWIW. I used a Coleman vertical for years and never was disappointed with the food. Good smoking!

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This will take more thought and investigation than I thought.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
A guy is invited to a dinner party, and being a photography buff brings sone photos to share. The hostess admires them and comments that he must have some really nice cameras. He says nothing, but after enjoying the meal compliments the hostess on the food and tells her she must have some really nice pots and pans. The point is it's not all about the tools, but the craft the artist instills into the piece. You can get dynamite results from a Weber kettle, a Little Chief, and poor results from the most expensive ones. Decide what you want to smoke, talk to lots of smokers, and research. The guys where I work favor the Traeger line, FWIW. I used a Coleman vertical for years and never was disappointed with the food. Good smoking!
I agree to some extent, but you never see the best craftsmen with the worst tools.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Another endorsement for the Big Green Egg. My sisters husband (the family grill master) smoked us each a half rack of baby back ribs on his Egg this past Monday and I'm still licking my fingers.

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So, after some thought, here's my take. If I compare this to being to being mechanic, I have a tool box full of Snap-On tools, the best is what you need if it's how you make your living. Craftsman is ok quality for the home mechanic but will not stand up to the rigors or heavy duty daily use.

The video that got me started on this whole quest appears to be what I will look for in s smoker before I commit to a mjor investment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5y0XV-QeVw&feature=youtu.be

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well...got a smoker this weekend on the cheap and oiled it down and did a nice BACON break it thing yesterday :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, there is a fine line. I've found apple wood probably gets used the most by me.
Any particular reason for that Xela?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts