Why did you choose Cycling?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Valid, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Valid

Valid Guest

I'm doing research into hobbies and this was on my list. I thought maybe an after work beer league, but I don't drink. Why did you guys choose cycling over everything else?

2. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Its a great mix of excerise that is relatively low impact, transportation, good for site seeing and cheap once you have purchased the primary equipment.

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Trying to get unfat and it's more fun than hiking or walking around the neighborhood. I don't see how people can just walk around the same path in there neighborhood everyday and act like there not bored to tears.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Can you name a better sport/hobby/form of transportation?

5. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

didn't really choose it, I just tried it and liked it.

6. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

[​IMG] Same here... :cool:

7. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

I was introduced to serious riding at age 14, when a church youth group sponsored a weeklong bike tour. It sounded like: a.) fun, and b.) a way to get away from the house for a week.

It was transformative; when I came back, charged up and full of joy, my mother displayed rare insight and negotiated the purchase of the loaner bike I'd ridden that week. That bike changed my life -- I reunited with my father (on the down-low, mom hated him!), commuted to my first job, and stupidly let it go for the sake of a car.

In my 40's, I was FINALLY able to recapture the unfettered joy and glee of that time. I've been addicted ever since, and have taken it so far that I am now car-free.

30+ years later, 80 pounds heavier, I am faster over the old commute distance on a mountain bike than i was on the 10-speed!

It's like being a kid again, WITH the kids.

8. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

It's fun as hell, saves me money and lets me see/talk to people that driving wouldn't allow.

9. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

More scenic in areas, better workout than just walking or running I think, you can go farther and thus see more, making it more enjoyable.

oh, and it's FUN. especially mountain biking.

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

As I take a break to check the correct torque values for the rear shocks on my Harley, (just swapped out the air/oil for coils) I'm reminded of why I like bicycles. They don't weigh 567lbs, and nearly fall over onto my car.

11. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

The DR. made me do it.;)

12. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

You don't chose cycling it chooses you, but seriously, i've always cycled from when i was a young lad to now being an old lad.

13. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

i am 36. i play soccer once a week and hit the gym everyday.
    my cousins invited me to go urban riding one day.
    have been doing it now once a week for a month with them.

when we were young our parents would take us to the river. now that we all have families, riding is a common interest the 4 of us have. we are trying to get our other cousins involved.

so for me, it was to be able to be around my cousins who don't play soccer, and don't go to the gym.

14. joker

joker Guest

I like to do things that once the initial equipment is purchased it doesn't cost much to do it after that. I use to snow ski but the lift tickets are just rude and cycling gives me the same feeling of speed and carving turns (to a degree) so it replaced skiing. I love the adrenaline rush and it keeps my ass looking good. ;)