Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts

Well many bikes do come with kickstands because they are quite heavy and can become problematic on mountain bikes. and many consumers do not want them. It is also an excuse for companies to sell them separately and make more money.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
as bantam says, weight savings...why have a kick stand when a tree or a wall does the same job...

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
A lot of bikes don't even have a place to mount them, so they're considered optional equipment; there's also the prevalent thinking among 'serious' cyclists that kickstands are a 'dork' feature, fit only for cheap bikes and Freds.

I've tried to envision a kickstand on my Dakar, and the sight on my mind's eye makes me shudder....

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Ohh -- there's also the thought that the more expensive a bike is, the more likely it is to be locked up to something solid, negating the need for a kickstand.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You can save weight if something can serve two functions. My helmet doubles as a kickstand for one of my bikes.

Ground clearance is a moot point. There's just enough so that getting a flat in front doesn't make the frame drag.

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
Kick stands are heavy? They probably only weigh ounces. Also I don't want to lean my bike against anything because it might get scratched up. I value my property because I work hard for it. But that's me. Good discussion here.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Kickstands are made out of aluminum so they really dont weigh much. I am pretty sure I have seen them on the rack in Walmart for a few bucks. I have a kickstand mounted on my mountain bike which I use as my trailer pulling bike. The kickstand comes in very handy when putting the grandkids in and out of the trailer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts