Why do the outside of my feet hurt?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by shakey_yankee, Dec 19, 2009.

1. shakey_yankee

shakey_yankee Riding beats running!

Has anyone else had this? Seems like at certain times the outsides of my feet cramp. By outside I mean right along between my pinky toe and my ankle.

Talked to the gal at the shop, she said Specialized is making a wedge that corrects the foots desire to rotate out.

Is that what I am doing?

Another said I should dig my heels in on the down stroke.

Every once in awhile I need to unclip and just rotate my feet around....

2. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Could be about a million things... arch support in your shoes.. either too much for you or not enough, saddle height, crank length, riding (pedaling) technique, conditioning, stretching.... etc etc

If you can try a different model of shoe do that first... see if it gets better.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Agree. I had a pair of Specialized Body Geometry shoes that did this to my feet. After switching to Sidi's, this doesn't happen anymore.

4. shakey_yankee

I'm hoping I just have to get the bugs worked out. I am wearing a $150 pair of Gaerne's. I'd hate if they were the problem....

5. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I hope so, too! Hopefully, you're LBS is willing to work with you to get it straightened out. It sounds like they are since you alread knew about the BG shims. It does just sound like an issue of too much pressure in the wrong spot, so it should be something shims can correct.

6. shakey_yankee

Thanks Xela. Have a long ride coming up today. If they really bother me today, I will try the shims.

7. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

You might have your cleats a little too far forward. Put on your shoes and click into one pedal... reach down to your shoe in the pedal and put your index finger on the ball of your foot at the widest point.... where your finger is pointing should correspond exactly to the center of your pedal axel. If it does not... adjust fore or aft as necessary.

I can understand that you don't want to get new shoes so try all other fixes first. Different inner soles for example.

8. Cyclomatic

Cyclomatic Guest

Shoes probably. I've had that problem when my shoes were to tight.

9. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

This is my guess too. Try a wider shoe and pay no attention to what's cool at the moment. Better a cheap shoe that fits than the other way around.

10. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

As to fitting a set of clips. Try this old-time method. Put on some platforms with teeth, you know, the old steel models with the nasty edges. Attach toe clips with straps. Wear a pair of rubber soled running or tennis shoes and mark the bottoms with paint or shoe polish, marker, anything that will show a wear pattern. Go out and ride for 30 minutes allowing your foot to find its own best spot. Then look at the wear pattern on the rubber sole. This will give you the best indication of where to attach clipless clips (I hate the term clipless pedals when they use clips) to your real riding shoes. At the very least it will get you very, very close.

Not many people are symmetric in their foot-clip placement. Expect to see some differences with each foot.

11. shakey_yankee

Thanks to all the replies. Haven't had many problems lately. I think it was just a matter of conditioning.

12. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Did you just work your way past it? Or did you lay off for a bit?

13. shakey_yankee

Well, didn't ride much over the Holidays. I moved my cleats to the outside and forward a bit. That seemed to help a bunch! Did 27 miles the other day and my feet felt fine.