Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past couple months on the bike trail I ride on, I have come up on several wrecks just after they happen and it's always the same.

Yesterday a guy not too far ahead of me was riding too close to edge of the trail and swerved off into the grass. When he corrected to get back on the concrete ( there's about a 2-3" rise) down he went. No gloves on and the concrete has a rough finish on it. The palms of his hands looked like he'd just fallen asleep on a belt sander.

Luckily I carry a roll of gauze and tape in my emergency bag and was able to patch him up, but he still had a 20 mile ride to get to his car. All I can say is Ouch! A $10 pair of gloves and all he would have hurt was his ego.

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
The only reason I wear gloves now is to keep the copious amounts of sweat off of my bars/tape and tend to wear fairly thin gloves now anyway. I never thought of gloves as fall protection, if you will, until I read this.

When I started riding I thought gel and padded gloves were the answer to numb hands and sore palms but soon learned that could be cured using other methods.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I did the same thing last week I was on a ride with my daughter and it was starting to get dark and we were under a canopy of trees. I was to close to the edge of the trail and went off on purpose but with my dark glasses I did not realize there was a 3 to 4 inches of asphalt to get back up. I went down hard I bruised my hip and ego but was more concerned about my bike. I am okay and the bike is fine took a chunk out of my brooks saddle but it could have been a lot worse. I always wondered when my first crash was going to happen and I hope its my last.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I wear gloves so that my hands don't slip off the handlebars.

though I recently bought some lock-on ergonomic grips that are so awesome - I highly recommend them to all you mountain bikers- they are so worth it. ($30'ish)

Before I replaced my grips though, I had some decent slip-on grips, but once sweat got between the grip and the handlebar tube, it was over... the grips kept sliding off- hard to keep control of the bike while pushing inward to keep the grips on.

I prefer the fingerless padded palm gloves with the knitted back panel so they can breath - I think they are made by Bontrager... cheap and effective

Bontrager: Crochet (Model #07713)

·
retromike3
274 Posts
why wear gloves.

I have two sets of gloves. Both are full fingered and booth are "armored" with carbon. Nothing like going over the bars to remind you that having something on your hands is a good thing.

I have a warm weather set and a cold weather set. My hands are so beat up now I am just trying top save some of the original none-scar tissue.

mike

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Gloves are definitely a good thing. With the exception of riding around the hood, I never ride without them. Not only do they protect my hands, but more importantly, they help me grip the bars with sweaty hands.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well here gloves are very hot. IF the hands were messed up that bad, it is also possible that there would of have been some shredded gloves and messed up hands. Is it good protection? I won't argue that it isn't. Some have said it keeps the sweat off the bars, but in my case it traps it in the gloves. I wear them on my upright bike because of the cushioning they provide, but not on the recumbent.

It's my opinion that road rash isn't the real worry here. The real worry is the natural reaction to brace when you know you are going down. That usually puts the wrist in harms way for things like hairline fractures and such and gloves will not really do much for that.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While I did a poor job of saying so, my original post was actually directed at the weekend warriors that flock to the riding trails seemingly oblivious to the fact that even though it's *just* a bicycle, you can still get hurt without taking a couple precautions. This guys helmet even went flying off because he didn't have the strap latched.

You're right Mark, a broken wrist would have been a much worse outcome and I'm pretty sure the guy was in more pain than he was letting on to me.

·
Jay
35 Posts
If you ride enough, there are three things you can count on: getting caught in the rain, flat tires and kissing the pavement. (or dirt) I always wear gloves and a helmet. Skinned hands take a long time to heal and hurt a lot more than say a knee. And you never know about a helmet. I used to ride motorcycles back in the '70's and lately on the bike and it wasn't until about three years ago I had a crash bad enough the helmet saved my life or kept me from being a drooling idiot in a nursing home. A couple girlfriends have called me a drooling idiot, but that's a story for another day.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't wear gloves, but know they would be handy (wink wink) if I did fall... I may look into a pair some day soon...

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I just hate picking all that crap out of my hand so gloves it is for me.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
OK, Now tell me what I should look for in gloves for casual riding, please.
My hands got all sweaty yesterday ~ I need gloves.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Years back, my brother rode and I didn't. He came over one day and had on his helmet and gloves. I remember snearing, "Do those glove make you go faster." Silently, he pantomimned putting his hands out as if falling, splayed wide. "Oh," I said, getting it.

I've replaced two sets, both from falls that ripped the holy hell out of them. And I had a bit of a slide a little while back that has the left one all scuffed. When I put them on before the commute home, I always see that scuffed leather and remind myself to be very, very careful. Good mental centering device.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
Why stop at gloves? Might as well get the gloves with wrist supports like the roller bladers wear. Why not elbow pads too? And the knee pads too. OMG what if I fell off and hit my teeth? I gotta get a mouth piece. Ah, no wait! I'll just upgrade from a bike helmet to a full faced motor cycle helmet.

Ya know what; never mind. It's too dangerous out there. I'll stay home.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Well I went down yesterday, chain ring tatoo and a gash in my elbow , but the hands are ok I had my gloves on. I think the bike will be ok allso as I road it home. I was thinking back to the last ime I fell I t was probably 11,000 miles ago, so it was time :rolleyes:

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
Well I went down yesterday, chain ring tatoo and a gash in my elbow , but the hands are ok I had my gloves on. I think the bike will be ok allso as I road it home. I was thinking back to the last ime I fell I t was probably 11,000 miles ago, so it was time :rolleyes:
11,000 miles ago? I think I was like 9 years old. LOL!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts