1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
Freedom!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Freedom, independence, connection with machine, zooming along on my own power a flexible workout. I'm still at the stage where I can see personal improvements on a weekly basis. I did 14.7 miles Sunday, my longest ride this year.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I've always said.... bikers know something non -bikers don't, and the only way to explain it is to take them for a ride.
I found they either get it or they don't.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I've always said that people who bike know something that people who don't bike don't know, and they can't put it into words.
The only way to explain, is to take them for a ride. They will either get it, or they won't.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Maybe so, but I'm not telling;)

In all seriousness, I think cycling is so much fun because it removes you from the stale/static environment of a car/office/house.

Think about it. Most people spend all of their day in a climate-controlled office. The go outside for a few minutes to get in their climate controlled car. They arrive home to their climate controlled house. Within those environments, you have background noise that you start to ignore. TV, radio, coworkers, etc.

Cycling, there's no artificial boundary between you and your surroudings. Birds, insects, animals, you can't tune it out (ear plugs notwithstanding). You longer fall in to the semi-conscious state most people seem to operate within when operating a car or computer. You're forced to take notice. Turning the pedals, shifting gears, more exertion up hills, relax on the descents. The sun tingling your skin, the wind burning your lips, the cold air stinging your ears.

Cycling (to me) is not about adding years to your life. It's about adding life to your years. I'd rather lay on my death bed with fond memories of the sweet smell of sunny mornings and birds chirping than memories of a car that smells like coffee or waiting at the gas pump and emptying my wallet.

I am by no means an eco-people-powered zealot. I just appreciate simpler, less expensive pleasures in life!

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Superbly said!

Reminds me of something an an OLD motorcycle racer said....(something like)...

"Some people sit on the porch, afraid to experience life in trade for the safety of existence. I could never watch life go by wondering what it would be like IF. I will trade the safety of existence for a life cock full of memories, like accelerating through a long turn with my knee skimming the road or the joy of........"

I kept his quote in my wallet for years. I wish I still had it.
Yours is one to remember as well.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,287 Posts
kneedrachen said:
Maybe so, but I'm not telling;)

In all seriousness, I think cycling is so much fun because it removes you from the stale/static environment of a car/office/house.

Think about it. Most people spend all of their day in a climate-controlled office. The go outside for a few minutes to get in their climate controlled car. They arrive home to their climate controlled house. Within those environments, you have background noise that you start to ignore. TV, radio, coworkers, etc.

Cycling, there's no artificial boundary between you and your surroudings. Birds, insects, animals, you can't tune it out (ear plugs notwithstanding). You longer fall in to the semi-conscious state most people seem to operate within when operating a car or computer. You're forced to take notice. Turning the pedals, shifting gears, more exertion up hills, relax on the descents. The sun tingling your skin, the wind burning your lips, the cold air stinging your ears.

Cycling (to me) is not about adding years to your life. It's about adding life to your years. I'd rather lay on my death bed with fond memories of the sweet smell of sunny mornings and birds chirping than memories of a car that smells like coffee or waiting at the gas pump and emptying my wallet.

I am by no means an eco-people-powered zealot. I just appreciate simpler, less expensive pleasures in life!
Wonderfully put, thank you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Everyone wish to experience of biking at least once in life and there are some people who becomes crazy for biking, I think there are many reasons for biking. Good discussion. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts