Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a rough month friends of TwoSpoke, I talked about it briefly in the other thread, job losing it, maybe, not sure, day to day, but I also recently moved from a rental house I was in into an apartment. Aside from the horribleness of less space, no yard, no garage, I now have to contend with the parking lot. I need to get my new bike in the registry, it's a Trek Hybrid, got a great bike at a great price, but in this case I have never been more visible, lights reflectors you name it, my bike is set for a commute.

I leave early, I'm working a lot as things spiral out of control here, but one of the things I have been diligent about is riding. I quit for a while after my bike was stolen, gained a lot of weight, and things started getting tense. It's dark, or the sun is just starting to come up, so I understand visibility is not at it's greatest. All the same, some amount of caution in proceeding you would think would be the norm. I've been hit once, scared the hell out of me, I never want to do it again, but navigating the parking lot of my complex is going to get me killed. My jerk neighbors, one and all, without looking, throw their cars into reverse and just start going. This mourning, after mourning of almost getting hit, I saw a lifted truck almost get nailed by a reversing Saturn. What the hell is wrong with people? I see myself as mellowing out in my age, but I get irate when people's lack of consideration puts my well being in danger. I was walking the other day with a friend, some crazy woman pulled out of her spot to quick and almost ended him right there, she just screamed sorry out of her window and hauled off.

I'm afraid for the World, not in that it's getting any worse, it's just not getting any better, but then, life is tough right now, head up though, nothing can be done. I have a sense of serenity, I just don't want to die.

Thanks for listening.

Fun

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Keep your head up. We're all pulling for you.

Glad to hear the new ride is working out for you. Just be sure to keep it from being a bumper ornament.

I know it's not really the same, but your comments regarding your apartment parking lot reminded me how sad/funny it is that this time of year which, if you listen to all the marketing BS out there, is supposed to be all about giving and sharing with others, brings out the a-hole in just about everyone at every store parking lot that you go to.

Take it easy, Fun, and keep us updated.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will, unfortunately nothing can be done about the apt situation, I would complain, but they haven't fixed half the crap that was broke from the move in.

I was thinking about getting a bull horn, you know, blast them when they got close, but then I'm sure I would become the one asked to leave.

Thanks for the pulling, it'll work out, it always does.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
Hey Hack, sorry for your pain in the neck apt. situation. I think the riding is keeping your sanity in check, so don't ever stop, just watch out for them crazies. I'll bet if you send me one of those Clean Bottles to review everything will turn out peachy in the end. :) kidding

Thanks for pulling here at twospoke. I like this forum much better than RBR but there is not as much traffic... Yet.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well just a suggestion. Its a parking lot and not a street. I ran into this years ago. What did I do to survive? I rode in the middle of the drive between cars. Cars were parked on both sides of the lot, so I got as close to what would have been the center line as I could. That way I could see them moving and take action. If I was nearby, they had further to go before they hit me.

I have never been hit, but I have been close so many times its amazing I haven't been. The last time was one of those STUPID hybrids in the all electric mode. Tinted windows so from my angle you couldn't see anyone in the car, no exhaust so you could tell the engine was running, and being nice I am going to say a distracted operator.

If it scares you that bad, just walk the bike out of the lot.

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
Yo Funetical's,
How's it going? Just hang in there and hang on.

Start working on a "what if" plan so you'll be ready for what ever happens.

Keep The Faith and turn the cranks.

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
Hey Fun, what's happening? Tell us some good news.

Thinking of you

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would be happy to have a hug.

I think we should shutdown now. My wife is mad, she thinks I'm spending to much time working on something we now know isn't going to pay off.

I'm getting criticism from customers about less than full menu, and I'm having a hard time altering to my budget.

I'm good at what I do, I have a resume and references to back it up, but no one is hiring for anyhting but a line cook right now, so it seems I'm going back down the totem pole for while, unless something else comes up.

I have no shame in it, I'll wash dishes and work in Fast Food to feed my family. Dig ditches whatever, I have my priorities straight.

I've been on my bike every day, I've been using my morning ride to reflect, I have a sense of tranquility I've never had before.

It's the industry I chose I suppose.

Thanks for all the support guys.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How's your health?
Headaches and sinus issues, but it could be worse. I'm actually upbeat considering what's going on.

You are looking for something before you are unemployed right?
Right. I've talked to a couple of places. There are a couple of catering companies that I can get on, problem there is they usually stop getting business after New Years.

There's a couple of other things I do well enough to make money, we'll see. I may switch fields until I can find the job I want.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Headaches and sinus issues, but it could be worse. I'm actually upbeat considering what's going on.

Right. I've talked to a couple of places. There are a couple of catering companies that I can get on, problem there is they usually stop getting business after New Years.

There's a couple of other things I do well enough to make money, we'll see. I may switch fields until I can find the job I want.
Keep pounding the pavement, I'm sure there's something out there.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
We joke that for Christmas this year, my wife is getting fired. She's been out on disability, and it's not looking good for us at this point. Ramen and mac-cheese are becoming our friends.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts