WHY ME ! ! ! Please let me vent

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Mike1jw, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I just had the cable guy over to install the new cable boxes I need to convert to the new digital system THEY changed to, and, don't ya know it, He knocked my 1 month old Giant Defy Advanced over damaging the frame :mad::mad::mad:

After I picked it up I noticed chipped paint on the floor. Then I noticed what appears to be a 2" crack in the top tube :(:(:( I feel bad for the cable guy because I know it was an accident, but that's what insurance is for, right. He was good about it, acknowaging his falt in this, but he said he wants to take care of this without going through the cable company. I don't like to take chances so I reported it to the cable company anyway. I don't know this guy from Adam. I called the bike shop, and they said if the frame is cracked it has to be replaced at a cost of around $1,700. just for the frame and then labor on top of that. It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. I'm sure thier jaw's are going to drop to the floor when they see this bill. WHY ME ! ! !

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Your frame cracked from getting knocked over in your house?

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Yeah, very suprising that simply falling over would crack the frame. I would think their insurance company is gonna want to do some investigating into that. Plus, I'd be afraid to ride a frame thinking that a similar frame cracked from falling over. Keep us updated.

4. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

if it cracked just falling over i'd be afraid to ride it on the road. imagine what would happen to it if you crashed?

5. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

When you get the new bike you need to have the bike shop install a dual legged kickstand on it so this type of thing doesn't happen in the future.

[​IMG]

:D ;) :p :rolleyes:

(kidding of course)

6. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I always had my doubts about carbon fiber. Let's face it, I'm not riding in the Tour de France! I had one bike shop saleman tell me he drove his carbon frame bike into the garage door when he forgot to take it off the roof rack, and NOTHING happened to it! While I was being fitted for a bike, The bike shop owner used this Giant carbon frame bike. I said to him that I was leary about carbon fiber, and maybe I should think of something stronger that would last me a long time. He said I was "thinking too far into the future", and that "this frame would last a long time". "Dont worry about it", he said. From what I've been reading about cycling even the best cyclists crash every now and then. I gave up golf because I thought it was too expensive. I might have to rethink this cycling hobby if its going to cost me 1,600 dollars every time I have an accident. I can just see the headaches coming trying to collect on this through the cable companies insurance.

7. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

8. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Ya can't make this stuff up.:mad:

9. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Question: If a carbon fiber frame is cracked, is it repairable?

10. Industry_Hack

I think we're going to need a photo. Or two.

11. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

here's some pics.

Attached Files:

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

13. Industry_Hack

That looks more like damage to the gel-coat, or whatever they put on top of the CF, rather than a crack in the frame.

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Is it crazy of me to think that it would be hard to bust the frame?

15. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

The impact point (on the side) does look like its just chipped paint, (maybe) but the top appears to be a 2" crack.

I'm going to bring it to the shop today and see what they say.

16. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Well I just got back from the bike shop and he told me it's cracked and the frame needs to be replaced. The estimate came to $1,100 for a replacement frame (a new one would retail at $2,000 but because Giant has a cracked frame exchange, It will cost $1100 if the old one is returned) 130.00 labor to swap frames, with tax the whole job is going to cost $1316.00 :eek: Now Let's see if the cable technician makes good on his promise.

17. Industry_Hack

Wow. I have never contemplated using carbon fiber for anything other than headset spacers. And I never will.

18. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Do you trust your bike shop? Maybe the bike is a defect?

Even Carbon Fiber being so lightweight should withstand a little more I would think, maybe I'm off as I'm a steel man.

19. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

Is it just me or don't they have a lifetime warranty on the frame?

Trek does, but I don't know about Giant. Take that bike/frame to another shop just in case to see their opinion on it as well.

I don't like to say that people might be dishonest, especially in the cycling world, but salesmen will be salesmen.

20. Industry_Hack

Do I need to start a thread on what a "lifetime warranty" is? Because most people have no clue.

Manufacturers will warrant a product against defects in materials or workmanship for the lifetime of the product. Not my lifetime, not your lifetime. The lifetime of the product, which is determined by the manufacturer. That might be two years for a frame, or one season for gloves. The fine print is never friendly.

In this case, the damage is not related to a defect in materials or workmanship.