Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just bought and fitted a new tyre and inner tube.once they were fitted. The gears stopped working. The tension on the cables doesn't seem slack but moving the levers doesn't do anything. The bike just seems to be "stuck in first"

Moving the levers does nothing, no clicking or anything. I can't "feel" the cable in the levers but the tension in the rest of the cable seems normal...

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
At the end of each piece of cable is a ferrule. Make sure that the cable is in the ferrule, and the ferrule is in the cable stop. If you have tension, but nothing happens when you shift, my guess is that a cable popped out of place somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
everything seems to be in place. Seems odd that both levers would stop working at the same time though... How would I check the gear levers?

·
Registered
350 Posts
If the problem started when you removed and replaced the rear wheel, then don't touch the shift levers or you will have two problems to fix. If it's 'stuck in 1st' then the cable is too tight, if that helps. Hack's suggestion makes sense. Try taking the rear wheel back off and verify that the derailleur moves back and forth when the levers are moved. If not, determine where the cable is hung up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the problem started when you removed and replaced the rear wheel, then don't touch the shift levers or you will have two problems to fix. If it's 'stuck in 1st' then the cable is too tight, if that helps. Hack's suggestion makes sense. Try taking the rear wheel back off and verify that the derailleur moves back and forth when the levers are moved. If not, determine where the cable is hung up.
I took the wheel back off and the derailleur is still stuck. The end two sprocket things obviously move as they were on the wheel when it was there but the rest doesn't move at all. There is no movement backwards or forwards.

@Hack I will get a photo after din dins :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts