Why????????

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by RUSHTHEMALL, Aug 19, 2010.

1. RUSHTHEMALL

RUSHTHEMALL ALWAYS IN A RUSH

I am still a bike noobie,even thou i own a bike now like 3 years now,anyway,my question is why????????????:confused:. when i bought my mtb,the peepz at the bike shop told me to leave the gears always on 2 and 5.when i say that,i mean,on the left side of my handle bar it reads 2 and on the right it reads 5.i am in nyc.and there is lots of broken streets and potholes,its very rough roads.broken bottles,broken car parts strewn on the street.so i opted for a mtb and it serves me well.

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

If you are always using the middle chainring (2) and the fifth cog, you may as well have just gotten a singlespeed. That combination gives you the best chain line, but by no means should you only use that combo. Why have 27 gears if you only use 1? It's best to avoid gears that produce radical chain lines like the Big ring and the biggest cog and vice versa.

3. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Can you give a little more information on this one? I am finding it very odd that your lbs would tell you to never shift your bike. As said before, kind of a waste to have 20+ gears if your never going to shift it. Did you explain your normal commute or bike path and they determined that was the best gear ratio for your ride? Just trying to get a better understanding here.

4. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

No disrespect intended but do you always blindly listen to what people tell you? People are often wrong and what works for some may not work for others. The bike is about freedom, ride it the way you want, it's yours! As referenced above, just don't cross-chain...the world won't come to an end if you do, just wear out the chian quicker and maybe miss some shifts.

Have fun

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Are they telling you to leave it at 2 and 5 when you're not riding it? It may be a chain tension thing.

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I'd like to know how old the OP is.

7. RUSHTHEMALL

RUSHTHEMALL ALWAYS IN A RUSH

@ihack.........wats op????????
    @funetical......always ridin or standin still.
    @b55..i dont always do what some tell me,i have shifted the gears now and then.
    @wbike..no i neva told em my daily commute

i asked the question ,because thats what was told to me,when i first bought the bike.but i have shifted the gears now and then.i realize when going up hill to shift the gears to make it easier,but then i have to peddle more.anyway thaNks to all for the feedback........................RUSH4

8. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

OP is the original poster (in this thread, that would be you).

Shift the gears to give you the best ride for the situation. Experiment. You won't break the bike.

9. Gandalfe

Gandalfe '57 Schwinn Wasp

OP == original poster. Sigh... another acronym. ;)