Wifes New Bike

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Skidmark, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

I thought I would post this belated story so it may save someone time and money. When I first started riding five months ago my on a bike my brother gave me we bought a Mt. Bike off craigslist for my wife. We soon discovered that her hands kept going numb as well as one foot, she was slow and quickly tired. After reading online and learning a bit more we stopped by the LBS looking for a bike that fit my wife. Mostly riding for fitness and fresh air rarely more than and hour or so. They quickly directed her to a hybrid, Specialized Globe Carmel series. After riding four different bikes and not looking at the price she chose the one that "felt" the most comfortable. This was a Carmel 1. Although the 3 was the fastest, and she liked them all, she kept going back to the ride of the 1. The transformation was amazing. She no longer has any problems with numbness, speed, and can ride as long as we have evening daylight. Now we ride together every chance we can.

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Congrats on the new bike Many happy miles.
    Yes there is nothing like riding the bike I found that a Large in one brand fit where a Medium fit in anouther. thay were allso different type bikes, comfort M and hybrid L.

3. Skidmark

You are right on. We knew very little about bikes and they took good care of our needs that we did not even know about. Adjustments and just plain letting her get the feel of them made for a fantastic shopping experience. We had a budget of 1k, and ended up spending less than 400 because that bike just felt best to her. The LBS main interest was for her to get the right bike, and as she was going to pay he asked twice "are you sure you dont want to think about it" there was NO pressure at all. Just helpfull assistance.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm glad it worked out, it can be hard finding mutual hobbies in a marriage.

5. Smiley

Smiley New Member

It's amazing how much more enjoyable a ride can be with a bike that fits! Congrats!

6. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Was lucky, while I have some knowledge of bikes(however limited my intellect), I let the bike shop owner pick bike for wife. Was a good decision, fit her perfect and she has been riding quite a bit and improving ever since. Cycling has helped her back which is added benefit, she used to walk and it was not good for her back. We ride together about 4-5 times per week, after 37 years of marriage, we pretty much do everything together.

DrB

7. Skidmark

mtndoc, Congrats on the 37 years. We just celebrated our 29th year together Saturday. Yes, the bikes take a load off knees and back for both of us. Its a great way to get some work out time, but we also look for deer, check out the new houses, etc. while catching up on the day together.

8. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

She put up with you for 37 years, GREAT!

I'm glad you guys have got the wives out riding.

I've named my wife "Shade Tree" but she's trying

9. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Burr I can't believe it either, she is VERY tolerant to put up with the likes of me.

Yeah, I think it is pretty cool she is starting to ride more...

DrB

10. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'm four years into mine. Crazy... she's crazy.

11. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Doc. has sleep on the couch more then four years

12. Skidmark

I have also discovered that after going through the buying experience at the LBS she needed no explanation when I said "I want a bike for xmas" that fits me.

13. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

There you go

Merry Christmas

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Probably. Although I can say I've never slept on the couch. She goes to her mothers.

15. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

ha ha, I get the short replies, banging the pots, and she stays on her side of the bed.