Wildlife

Discussion in 'Trail & Ride Reports' started by Comko, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Comko

Comko Guest

What kind of wildlife do you see on your regular trails?
    I always see tons of deer in my area. They are not too shy around here. I also see lots of squirrels in the mornings. I enjoy watching those crazy little high-strung things chase each other around. There are some beautiful butterflies out this time of year. I've also encountered on a couple of occasions some opossums, raccoons, rabbits, and even armadillo every once in a blue moon!

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Speaking of squirrels, I was out on a short 20 mile lunch ride today. I was riding along not paying much attention, when I heard a sound that sounded like a tire going flat. I looked down to see that it was the sound of squirrel claws on asphalt as it was trying to reverse directions to avoid me. He started sliding and slid sideways into my front tire. He and I were both fine, but I think it nearly gave both of us a heart-attack.

3. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

Deer, hawks, vultures are the most common for me. I have also seen turtles, copperheads, a rattlesnake, flocks of wild turkeys, coyotes. I don't think they count as wildlife but I was once delayed for about 15 minutes as a huge herd of goats that got out of their pasture crossed the trail I was riding.

4. Xela

5. Donald

Donald Guest

Lol. That is quite a selection of animals!

6. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I see the normal animals but recently I've seen Bobcats A LOT. Must be the drought.

7. casey

casey Guest

Dean, bobcats in your area?! How large are they? Where do you find them roaming about? Do you live in a woodsy area?

8. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I see about the same but add to that wild hogs. I am also noticing more bobcats in my area. Yesterday a mother with kittens taking her time going up a hill before entering the woods.

9. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

In SoCal, it was squirrels, rabbits, deer, rattlesnakes, lizards and coyotes. I could always count on seeing at least one of them per ride. In Australia, I saw one brown snake (really poisonous) and a Wallaroo (basically a small kangaroo) on an early morning ride.

10. Xela

Apparently it's roadrunner season around here. Yesterday, as I was trying to hold momentum up a hill, one darted out in front of me and I had to lock up to keep from hitting.

Today, one decided to play chicken with me in the middle of the road. Not afraid to say it, as an animal lover, I lost that one. As I slowed to a crawl, he took off and ran into the bushes.

Not complaining, as wildlife is one of the highlights of my rides. I was doing hill repeats a few months back, and my only companion was a rather large hawk hunting for breakfast.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I got squirrels dogs and homeless people. Same as it ever was.

12. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

Just funetical...

Attached Files:

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Once, never again.

14. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

it looks like it would be really warm

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

It wasn't. What you can't tell is that pic was in taken in hell while it was freezing over. It was my stipulation for putting it on.