Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, November 28, I ran east along an open road that is very flat. Wind at my back was a steady 40-45 mph with gusts over 50. First time in my life I ever spun-out the top gear on my MTB. It's a 42x13 and I run road tires on it, no knobbies. GPS said I was maintaining 35-37 mph. Even at that speed I felt no wind on my face and no rush of air past my ears. What a weird sensation. Fastest downhill speed I've done on this bike before was only 33 mph and that for a hundred yards. I maintained 35 plus for 3 miles yesterday. Could not turn the pedals over fast enough. Anyone else go flying yesterday?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the dreaded flu Thurs-Saturday and missed a great day to ride on Saturday. Wasn't quite as windy here in Illinois, only 12-15mph. That ride sounds awesome but at some point didn't you have to ride back into the wind?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the dreaded flu Thurs-Saturday and missed a great day to ride on Saturday. Wasn't quite as windy here in Illinois, only 12-15mph. That ride sounds awesome but at some point didn't you have to ride back into the wind?
I was riding a loop. The first 3 miles was all down wind. Then it's into the trees on the way back. Not too bad. But the last mile was full into the wind. I almost stopped and walked the bike. Had it on the smallest front ring and the 2nd largest rear. Like climbing a ladder and I could not look straight ahead for all the junk flying around. Had to look straight down. (no glasses) I'd rather climb Mt. Washington then pedal into that kind of wind.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
When I had the flu towards the tail end I was going on short rides. I know they say get rest but for me getting out and exercising helps me get over sickness faster.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Exercise makes me worse. No I haven't been flying yet. It raining pretty heavy in Texas. At least in my part.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
No wind, but my top speed as a young roadie was achieved on a very steep hill - 56MPH! Never again, thank you. That was twice the speed limit on that road, and trying to maintain control at what is normally a gentle curve was quite sketchy.

I'll search Google for some sort of documentation of the road.

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
Wow, thats a big blow to ride in! Sounds fun bun not riding into it. Blowing 20-25 here today. I will be riding after its daylight and plan to try to make the open part down wind!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thats a big blow to ride in! Sounds fun bun not riding into it. Blowing 20-25 here today. I will be riding after its daylight and plan to try to make the open part down wind!
Skid, I live in the same town I was born in. Have ridden that piece of road a million times. That was the most perfect wind condition for that stretch I've ever witnessed. Wind was dead steady and dead astern for the whole 3 mile length. It was like being sucked in by a black hole.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't get it, without fail every ride I do is into a headwind, no matter what direction
I'm riding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts