Wind!!!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by London, Nov 29, 2009.

1. London

London Guest

Yesterday, November 28, I ran east along an open road that is very flat. Wind at my back was a steady 40-45 mph with gusts over 50. First time in my life I ever spun-out the top gear on my MTB. It's a 42x13 and I run road tires on it, no knobbies. GPS said I was maintaining 35-37 mph. Even at that speed I felt no wind on my face and no rush of air past my ears. What a weird sensation. Fastest downhill speed I've done on this bike before was only 33 mph and that for a hundred yards. I maintained 35 plus for 3 miles yesterday. Could not turn the pedals over fast enough. Anyone else go flying yesterday?

2. bankchick

bankchick New Member

I had the dreaded flu Thurs-Saturday and missed a great day to ride on Saturday. Wasn't quite as windy here in Illinois, only 12-15mph. That ride sounds awesome but at some point didn't you have to ride back into the wind?

3. London

London Guest

I was riding a loop. The first 3 miles was all down wind. Then it's into the trees on the way back. Not too bad. But the last mile was full into the wind. I almost stopped and walked the bike. Had it on the smallest front ring and the 2nd largest rear. Like climbing a ladder and I could not look straight ahead for all the junk flying around. Had to look straight down. (no glasses) I'd rather climb Mt. Washington then pedal into that kind of wind.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

When I had the flu towards the tail end I was going on short rides. I know they say get rest but for me getting out and exercising helps me get over sickness faster.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Exercise makes me worse. No I haven't been flying yet. It raining pretty heavy in Texas. At least in my part.

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

No wind, but my top speed as a young roadie was achieved on a very steep hill - 56MPH! Never again, thank you. That was twice the speed limit on that road, and trying to maintain control at what is normally a gentle curve was quite sketchy.

I'll search Google for some sort of documentation of the road.

7. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Wow, thats a big blow to ride in! Sounds fun bun not riding into it. Blowing 20-25 here today. I will be riding after its daylight and plan to try to make the open part down wind!

8. London

London Guest

Skid, I live in the same town I was born in. Have ridden that piece of road a million times. That was the most perfect wind condition for that stretch I've ever witnessed. Wind was dead steady and dead astern for the whole 3 mile length. It was like being sucked in by a black hole.

9. lotek

lotek New Member

I don't get it, without fail every ride I do is into a headwind, no matter what direction
    I'm riding.

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Duh! Turn around.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

The wind just picked up in Austin. I'll be out later and we'll see what it does.