Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a Windsor Fens and wanted to give a brief review of the past two weeks and how the Fens is holding up to regular use.

Got the bike from bikesdirect.com for a great price and after a couple of hours of assembling and adjusting it was ready for the road, 15 days of near constant have seen me clock up just over 280 miles and the only thing that I had to do was fix a puncture on my first commute home.

Coming from a hybrid "Raleigh Pioneer" to a road bike took a little getting used to, especially the integrated brake / shifter, it has Shimano 105 groupset. I was so used to the grip shifters on the Raleigh, but after maybe 4 rides it has become second nature.

The Fens is so much smoother in every way compared to the hybrid, with maybe the exception of the firmer ride / tires. In fact I was riding home this evening and could hear a clicking coming from the front wheel once per revolution which had me concerned. Inspection this evening I discovered it was in actualy fact the wireless speed sensor clicking as the magnet spun past. Never heard it before on the other ride. So no cause for concern.

I have found that my average speed has increased a little but the biggest difference has been hill climbing. I have a couple of medium climbs on the way to and from work and they seem a little easier on the Fens than they did on the Raleigh.

So, so far so good, I am happy with the purchase. I'll try post an update in another month for anyone that is interested.

Simon

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello Storksb,
I purchased a Windsor Fens from BD last summer and have no real complaints. I did change the stock 11-25 rear cluster to an 11-28 to better handle my local hills, but the stock 11-25 rear and 30-tooth small 3rd chain ring are plenty capable. The aluminum frame and carbon fork have held up well to some tough terrain in my area. I ride on my own and in organized group rides and get compliments all the time on the bike. I laugh a little, knowing that I probably paid about 40% less than they did for their name brand Trek or whatever bike. The Shimano 105 components have been very reliable and smooth shifting -- after some minor initial adjustment. Note: I have assembled three bikes so far from BD (mine, my son's and his friends) and have found no problems with any of them. They arrived very well packaged from UPS and were relatively easy to assemble (handlebars, pedals, etc. must be installed). I would order again from BD without hesitation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts