Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate winter, I wanna ride my bike, but I'm a wus and it's too cold! I want a trainer but my apartment has microphones built into the floor that amplify every step, drag, creek, etc and pipe it through to the apartment downstairs, so I'm a bit afraid of annoying the crap out of the neighbors. I'm kinda doing cross training, but it's not the same. bodyrock.tv BTW wicked workout!

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I am looking foward to rideing in the snow:). I hope the old Huffys tires hold up, thay look like thay should have had a blow out by now:rolleyes:. I was going to puts some studs in them but did not get around to it;). I like the old Huffy I have made it a single speed and it is a fun ride. So I say find an old beater bike and get out and have some fun:D.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah more worried about being out in the cold. I said I'm a wuss :(

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
Yeah more worried about being out in the cold. I said I'm a wuss :(
We seem to be having super-wind in Indy lately. 20+ mph winds lots of days, with gusts well above that. I'd be happy to ride in the 40 degree weather, if the wind wasn't going to blow me off my bike.

Just as big of a problem is the fact that after changing the clocks, it is dark just after 5pm.

Both are driving me nuts. Need to get outside and ride!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hate winter riding and usually just x country ski once everything is white. I ride for the freedom of it. Freezing to death and riding 5mph doesnt give me the same rush.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
First cold day of the year today in Washington DC.

Beautiful weather compared to Thursday and Wednesday which were warmer but rainy.

Some riders wore face masks today, some wore short pants.

Dubgirl, it's not bad when you get out there. In fact it's quite good. It's only bad in your mind because you haven't tried and you don't know.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
I hate winter riding and usually just x country ski once everything is white. I ride for the freedom of it. Freezing to death and riding 5mph doesnt give me the same rush.
Where's the "like" button? To many broken bones and joints that hurt in the cold...I dread getting old!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Growing up in Michigan (Gods Country) I love winter and snow, but don't see a lot of it here in southern Va. It does get cold, but I'm not going to ride in it. I love to ride my bike, but trying to enjoy a ride in snow cold temps does not sound like a good time... I picked up a trainer to mount my bike to in the den and ride it every night and its a nice workout.. I ride it in front of a 47" LED tv and watch hockey games while I put some nice warm miles on it...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I can't imagine staying inside all winter. You say you don't get much snow then somehow excuse yourself from the great outdoors because "...trying to enjoy a ride in snow cold temps does not sound like a good time...". What about balmy blue sky sunny winter days? You're in southern Virginia. It rarely gets cold enough to worry about. Usually above freezing and the roads are dry. Cold rain is horrible, but it doesn't rain every day. Get some tights, a long sleeve jersey and full finger gloves. Thank me later.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
My favorite rides of the year are in early winter snows, when those huge fat snowflakes are falling. The roads get a little slushy, but are still warm enough so as not to freeze. There is an otherworldly quality to riding thru the corn and bean fields with a half mile visibility .

I don't mind riding in the cold, and have gone on a lot of rides where the water bottles freeze solid. But I don't ride when there is ice on the roads, and I quit for the season when they start salting the roads. I value my bikes too much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't believe they still salt the roads anywhere! There are so many better alternatives.
I'm pretty happy that it's just coming into Summer here, I'm sure it will get TOO hot. Also it means the busy period at work, so no more mucking around with my bikes at work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As a child I loved the cold, snow, ice and resultant snow days. As I've grown older my body is telling me the affects of cold. I like warm.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like Wales' idea. Though from the sounds of things in their signature the team is wearing the wrong colors. We haven't won a cup since 1967 but hey there's always next year right? Hell the Leafs were doing pretty good this year, then Rimer got hurt, and we discovered the depth at goalie is...well...I'll just say kiddie pool and we'll leave it at that :p

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
To be all honest last year was the first time in ages that I rode in cold weather I dig it. It's rather refreshing having the chilly in your face. I normally am not a winter person though this year gonna get out and enjoy it more I don't ski or anything. The only time I don't ride is if the ground is wet with snow and ice these roads around here are hell during the summer never mind adding that to the mix. Bundle up wrap a good scarf around your face to quote Queen get on your bikes and ride :D dig it

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Dub,

We have had a lot of wind here in central Illinois the last few weeks. My last few morning rides have been in the 20's and 30 degree temps. I've been enjoying my rides so far. I ride in lower gears to keep my cadences up and the wind chill on my face down. On my Haro reserve 1.1, I dropped my grearing to about 42 gear inches.

Go for a ride, the wuss in your head shouldn't be allowed to spoil your day.

BobH.

·
242 Posts
Yep not rode much either its to windy in indy ( I made a rhyme lol ) and to cold in Boston but today it should be about 65 so might try to get out in a while and see what happens. It's no fun riding all bundled up I like to ride as free as I can. I've had a lot going on lately but maybe things will calm down after new year who knows but I am down almost 40 lbs since surgery so that's a good thing and I've gotten a car now and that's another good thing but riding in the cold and snow and wind is not my idea of a good time I can't imagine it is so cold in Fla already my daughter was there this weekend and they went to the daytona beach and also swimming at her dads in kissimmee. Just keep thinking every cold day is one day closer to spring !!!:)

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
I know how you feel. I HATE winter too and I live in Canada. I have never enjoyed riding in the cold, and I have a 200km ride coming up next spring that I have to start training for. At least I do have my trainer (well I will when my girlfriend's son gets it back to me after I let him use it for a while). Have you thought of putting dowm some sort of sound absorbing mat on your floor to get rid of some of the noise. There is a product called Homasote 440 Sound Barrier that you may want to look into. Put that down on your floor and a mat on top of it and it may work for you, depending on just HOW thin your floors are.

Can I join your wuss club?

Good luck,

Brian J.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never thought about that Brian. I still have left over dynamat from when I installed that in my car, I wonder if that would work. lol.

And yes, we are always taking new members to the wuss club! :D

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,556 Posts
I went to Old Navy and bought a bunch of cheap activewear for winter riding. I'm ready for it!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts