Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just pulled out my 2008 EZip Trailz 3517 miles, and this is its 3rd Winter.
Put my homemade studded tire on the front.
Picked up a used Klondike XT, with still good carbide studs and put it on the back.

Greased the bottom bracket, axles, and motor gear reduction with wheel bearing grease.

Used a "high speed turbine oil" on the freewheels - motor, and 7spd.
I heated them up with a hair drier, till the oil seeped in nicely.

I tried a new "oil" on the chains, a synthetic, specifically designed to repel moisture.
Very thick at 60* room temperature.
After cleaning chain with WD40, I wiped, then "dried" with "low" hair drier setting.
With nice warm chain on bike, I drizzled the thick oil along the chain, while turning the pedal.
Then held a small paintbrush against chain as I continued to turn the pedal, till chain was nicely coated.
I will wipe it down with a rag, after I ride it in, a bit.

Still using the cheapo plastic fenders, better than nothing, I have a spare pair of "full" fenders but they are a hard polycarbonate (plastic), that might shatter from an impact, when cold.

One tip - typically I set my seat for good pedal assist, (tip of toe when stopped.)
During winter conditions, I often drop the seat, so that I can "ski" my feet, for extreme safety.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am also, experimenting with a different type brake pad.
Only on the front, to begin with.
This should make comparison easier .

The oem pads are a very hard composite(?) type, but work "well", as long as you keep them adjusted properly.
My "trial" pads are of a more "rubberized" multi-composition, the leading edge being harder, with a sharp leading edge. to cut through-spread snow, ice, mud etc., the trailing half seems slightly softer and wider, possibly providing the majority of the friction-stopping power.

Just installed, so no "real" results yet. If they prove advantageous I will promptly post pictures and link.

Oh ... what the hey.
Preliminary results look good. - (Ground Aluminum alloy wheels(Bare-unpainted))
Wet wheels seem to take a full revolution before "catching" good grip.
User reviews look good!

They are so cheap, and take so long to deliver.
I don't believe you can go too far wrong.

$4.99 per set w/shipping! - click on picture

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've been running a bit in the ice and snow. Klondike XT tire doesn't seem to work as well as my homemade studded tire, maybe it will be better on ice only?
Conditions, so far, are on ice snow mix.

Brake pads seem more effective, than oem, but when wet, they require a few revolutions, before "grip" is good, (not uncommon, but disappointing). .

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got my Winter eZip ready.
Cleaned, lubed and waxed!
Did a power wash at the local car wash.
Lubed axles, BB, derailleur, chain, gear reduction etc.
Paste waxed my entire frame - helps mud, slush. salt etc, slide off.
Waxed all my cables.
"Armor-All"ed my studded tires, protects from salt and cold and helps them shed snow, slush, salt etc.

Ready for 3rd Winter trial of my homemade studded tire!

Final step ... making an extension "mud flap" for the front fender.

Trying to keep the crank, pedals and my feet, reasonably slush free.
I plan on a flexible Armor-All ed tube segment adhesived to the polycarbonate fender.
I might experiment with "forming" the flap, with heat or by "plying" two layers, bonding together in the desired "formed" shape.

Will post results ... when prototyped successfully.

November 20, 2
Bike is ready and raring to go!

Body ... not so much ...

Cold cuts a little deeper every year. Every old injury begins aching
, reminders of incidents, accidents ... foolishness ... of decades past.

Nostalgia is setting in. - 1977

Oh well ... "Once more into the breach!"

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Winter 2014 > 2015

Getting ready ... again!
My bike is my main concern, everything gets lubed up.
Grease for all bearings and multi-viscosity motor oil for most everything else.
I heat up the freewheels, shifter, idler pulleys etc and let the oil suck in.
Filling everything with petroleum products helps keep out the snow-slush-water.
Except for the chain lube, I avoid synthetic lubricants ... the synthetic greases I've tried seem to be clumpy, with a lack of "stick".

Gonna warm up my bike and paste wax everything, will probably even use hair dryer to "flow" the wax everywhere.
Protects and makes cleaning much easier!

Major difference this year will be my battery.
I am building a 33.3V 31.2Ah 18650 Li-ion pack to replace the 37V 20.8Ah I have used for the past 2 Winters.
The slight voltage decrease will be more than offset by the large Ah increase!
Especially in the cold, the Lithiums suffer severe voltage sag.
Hopefully the larger AH pack will provide a higher usable voltage output, the 150% Ah is a bonus.

Of course, I will be running studded tires.
My homemade will be center rows restudded and tire coated with "tire treatment" ... protect & preserves the "rubber" and helps it stay clean.
See - Homemade Studded Tires

Am still shopping for better fenders and will spray them with cooking spay to decrease ice buildup. ... ?

·
Retired
2,193 Posts
Got my Winter eZip ready.
Cleaned, lubed and waxed!
Did a power wash at the local car wash.
Lubed axles, BB, derailleur, chain, gear reduction etc.
Paste waxed my entire frame - helps mud, slush. salt etc, slide off.
Waxed all my cables.
"Armor-All"ed my studded tires, protects from salt and cold and helps them shed snow, slush, salt etc.

Ready for 3rd Winter trial of my homemade studded tire!

Final step ... making an extension "mud flap" for the front fender.

Trying to keep the crank, pedals and my feet, reasonably slush free.
I plan on a flexible Armor-All ed tube segment adhesived to the polycarbonate fender.
I might experiment with "forming" the flap, with heat or by "plying" two layers, bonding together in the desired "formed" shape.

Will post results ... when prototyped successfully.

November 20, 2
Bike is ready and raring to go!

Body ... not so much ...

Cold cuts a little deeper every year. Every old injury begins aching
, reminders of incidents, accidents ... foolishness ... of decades past.

Nostalgia is setting in. - 1977

Oh well ... "Once more into the breach!"
Before posting such pics, kindly send private messages to john_v and biglou warning them to ignore the thread. Such a pic might shock their systems. :thumbsup: :D :eek:

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
I saw this picture and to run to the closet and get a jacket! :eek: :D

Sent from my iPad using Bike Forum

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
What are you guys crazy? That deserves 2 Parka jackets and 2 sets of thermal underwear.

Sent from my iPhone using Bike Forum

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Snow "Shielding"

Found one of those old roll up "sleds" for sliding down hills.
Cut an oval with a couple notches and zip tied to the bottom of my front fender as a mud flap extension.
Should keep the slush off my toes and frame.

Got plenty left ...
Snow and slush fall right off it
Will likely install on additional snow accumulation points.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
SnowBeast - 2015

Got SnowBeast ready for my standard batteries.
Replaced the 36V eZip scooter controller with the mufti-voltage capable 24-36V controller.
(33.3V battery sagged to the 36V controllers 31V low voltage protection point too soon, especially evident during cold weather)

Replaced the oem 20T wheel sprocket with a 22T giving about 19mph from my 33.3V battery (625w motor output) builds and about 14mph from the 25.9V battery (485w motor output) build.
Pumping up the torque for humping through the slush and snow.
Regearing lower dropped top assist speed but amplifies torque!

Much of the "upper management" is actively anti-eBike and hostile towards any mention of eBikes.

I have decided to ally with them and help rid this forum of those interested in, or in need of, electric assist.
There are much better forums for eBikers.
Most progressive seems to be endless-sphere.com they are the premier advocates for promoting eVehicle, including eBike, development. Bonus = no advertisements!!!
Also of respectable provision and intent is bikeforums.net

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Salt Damage

What is salt damage?
In most of the northern US, salt is applied to the roads to help melt the ice and snow hardpack.
Sadly, salt also eats away at vehicles steel and and is even worse on aluminum.

I try to protect, frame, components cables etc with a coating of paste wax.
It is most essential in crevices, so I try to apply a liberal coat then flow it into every nook and cranny using a hot hair dryer and paint brush.

I also use a hair dryer to heat bearings, freewheels etc. so that oil flows into them nicely. I just heat the components and the oil flows in so easy.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
No riding in the gulf for me thank you!

I didn't even realize the hassle you northerners have to go through when all that salt is on the road. Must be a pain in the arse

Sent from my iPad using Bike Forum

·
1,945 Posts
That's why sometimes in ads for cars, especially vintage collectible cars, you will see noted 'California car' or 'southern car' or from Texas, Florida etc. Less chance of rust on the car so more valuable and worth more.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Cold Face

Possibly my worst complaint is a cold face.

I have tried Goggles, ski masks, Balaclavas, hoods and all suffered various degrees of problems.
After eliminating fabrics that let the wind cut through I began working on the problems of condensation and fogging up.

Maybe it is just my oversized mutibusted nose, but anything that covers my nose fogs up my goggles.
Finally resorted to a felt "skirt" on the bottom of my goggles that extends to the tip of my nose and lower, below my cheekbones on each side.
Then I raise a Balaclava over the skirt but below my nose.
This allows a degree of recirculated mouth breathing (partially pre-warmed inhales) and occasional fog free nasal exhales (warms nose).

A Balaclava is a felt tube with elastic on top and bottom.
It is designed to surround:
low neck
high neck
chin
mouth or over nose
And yes, it is breathable, can be a partial rebreather for partially warmed air, or pulled tight to mouth for fresh air - without condensation accumulation.

But I also picked up a snowmobile helmet at a yard sale this Summer with a heating element in the visor ... will try if it gets down in the teens - ºF.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Cold Feet

After trying many types of insulated shoes, boots etc. I finally hit upon a simple thin add-in insulation solution that works better than anything else.
The sheets of closed cell foam that often comes in electronic components packaging. Less than ⅛" thick but works much better than thicker "normal" foam inserts

Place foot on sheet
cut about 2"+ in front of toes and 1" around rest of foot
fold foam back over toes, fold up sides, slice foam at small and large toes
slice similarly near both sides of heel
insert in shoe or boot
test for fit with thin socks
trim any bunching on corners?

Optionally you can tape into desired shape ... on foot before inserting in shoe?

Caution: might provoke stinky feet. Use foot powder?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts