Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have been looking for a decent wired cadence computer and the only one i have come across is the CatEye CC-RD200 Strada. Does anyone here have any experience with it? Or has any other recommendations? Thanks.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Sigma and Cateye are both great computers; I've had both, l liked both. I chose the Sigma the second time around because it had a backlight, battery power display, battery back up in case battery dies or changing bats you won't lose all your information or settings, current temperature, and will compare current speed with average speed. The Sigma just had more features. It's very water resistant, my wife has one on her bike and it sits outside getting rained on a lot, but so is the Cateye. The Cateye is about $9 less expensive. So if you want all the features I mentioned that the Sigma has then spend the additonal $9, if you have no need for that stuff then get the Cateye.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I went to my LBS and they were hell bent on selling me the 'Double Wireless' bike computers. They said all the new wireless ones are really accurate, don't have any interference issues and are actually better than any wired computers out there.
What exactly is a Double wireless computer? and how are they different than just a plain wireless one?? I just need cadence and basic functions, nothing fancy and i was under the impression that a wired one would be more reliable.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Wireless computers have a very neat and clean setup due to there's no wires to run from here to there, in your case no wires going up the fork to the computer and no wires from the rear stay to the computer. But they don't last nearly half as long as a wired job. They also cost more and thus the reason to sell you a wireless due to more profit. I've had two wireless computers, one from Cateye and one from VDO and nether lasted more then 3 years! And most people I either know or heard of on other forums reported 2 to 4 year life expectancy. Plus the small button batteries in the fork sending unit burn out within 6 months. If this matters, to me it didn't, but they weigh more, some people have an aversion to weight.

If wiring is a problem and durability is not an issue then go wireless. I use clear small zip ties and the ties almost disappear, I also wrap the wire up the fork and up the brake cable so I don't use zip ties there, just make sure you leave enough slack so you can turn the bars extreme right or left.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with froze - I think the LBS is just trying to make a buck. any advantage the wireless offers I think is cancelled out by the cons froze listed. I'd like to really emphasize leaving enough slack - broke 2 wires that way when I had one on my mountain bike. as far as the brand goes, I've only ever used cateye because my first was cateye and I liked it and didnt see the need to change. sigma does make good stuff though so I'd also vote for putting out the extra $9. if not, you'll find the occasion for the extra features and be kicking yourself for not having put out the extra money....just my 2 cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts