Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was out riding the other day and noticed a steady bounce on my ride from rear tire. When I got home flipped bike upside down and started to spin wheel and noticed tire has bulge in one area . When looking at side wall it appears uneven in that area like its pushing up from wheel. Any Ideas I havent unmounted it to look yet?
Also noticed that cassette and the dust disc next to it has a wobble yet wheel tracks strait. Does the wheel /spokes need truing ?
Paul

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Sounds like your tire is bulging off he rim. The bead is most likely not in the groove of the rim properly. If the wobble is in the tire and not the rim you should not ride your bike until you deflate your tire and reset the bead onto the rim.

Your cassette wobbling a little could be caused by the spacer washer in back of it becoming deformed. If this is the case you can correct it by removing your cassette and rotating the washer slightly. Some cassettes do not have a spacer if you have one this could be the culprit.

Disc brakes have a tendency to bend and run out slightly. There is a tool available that you can bend it back true right on the bike.

If the rim is running out then it needs to be trued. Do you have any brake rubbing going on that wasnt happening before you noticed the bulging?

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thr tire I can handle. What worries me is the wobble on the rear cassette . I would think it has to be flexing the spokes . I also noticed a metallic click in front chainring or chain it self. Maybe Iam hearing chain binding while it flexs with rear cassette.Brakes are not rubbing as wheel spins true it just seems to be wobbling in cassette area.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
If your not comfortable working on the cassette bring it in to the LBS. The free hub could also have a worn or broken bushing or bearing causing the run out. Any bending or flexing of spokes would translate into the wheel running out.

Sounds like you have a little bit of a tricky problem on your hands.

Misalignment of the chain shouldnt cause your chain to bind. Your drive chain is designed to account for all the misalignment over all the gears.

In closing I hope you are able to quickly resolve your problem so you can get back on your bike and ride with piece of mind.

Best of luck
Dave

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved by manufacturer cycle force group.Sent email and within 24 hrs sending new tire and tube .Talked to tech help and what I have is a free wheeling hub that suppose to have slight wobble compared to a cassette which runs straight. You learn something new everyday .I cant complain at least they speak english .Kudos to Cycle Force Group on fast response time and spending time explaining parts and operation of my problem
Paul

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I wouldn't say a freewheel is supposed to wobble, but yes a little wobble is common and not a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts