Wore out

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by Hazy, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

I rode 85 miles this past week, which for me is a milestone that I want to improve upon. On my work days I commute 5 miles to and 5 miles fro, with 12 hours of semi-physical work in between. I try to do interval training on those short rides. On my off days I have been doing a 17 mile loop at a perceivably strong pace.

On Friday I took my first ride with an experienced rider for 20 miles. I think he took it easy on me but he said he really didn't. He killed me on hills so I know I need to work on that. Otherwise, I felt "good" about how I rode.

At any rate, the following day, I felt "cooked". Since Saturday was my work day, I still commuted but did not work it hard on the bike as I normally do for those short rides. I took Sunday off completely.

Did those extra 3 miles really affect me to the point that I felt exhausted or was it the overall effect of the week that took me down? I'm going to find out today I guess as I am going to replicate ( I say replicate but mean improve upon ) the 20 mile ride, but just wanted some comments, advice, on how I should proceed.

My goals for the year are to climb a hill that took me 3 stages to climb at the end of last year, and to finish at least a 1/2 century if not a Century ride.

Hazy

2. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Two things come to mind. First is what did you have immediately after the longer ride??? By increasing the length, you increased the need for protein and I found I have far less of a problem when I have a protein drink immediately following a longer ride.

Secondly what you maybe feeling is the body telling you it needs a rest day. A semi physical job, a 12 hour shift and a 5 mile commute adds up. A day off to let muscle tissue rebuild might actually improve your performance.

3. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, I didn't have my usual homemade high protein smoothie after that ride. Wow, that is certainly something to consider. I would not have thought it would have been that important, but it may well have been. Thanks

4. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

i like your goals... you can do a half century and a century, just keep spinning. you have a big support group here.
    i ride a ton and about a week ago i went on a ride i do often. we road from sedona up through a local town and made a climb up a local mountain... then home. about 45 miles round trip. i had done this a couple of weeks prior in the rain. but after the second ride i felt just like the prior but the next day i was toast... i only share because sometimes we just get worn down. i am sure there is a reason why i was beat up but i figure it was just to make me want to kick that rides butt next time.(this friday morning rain or shine)
    anyhow, you rock for pushing yourself and setting cycling goals. plus riding to work makes me like you!

5. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Rest days are just as important as workout days are.
    Interval training is very intense and at least with me, requires some recovery time.

I have also found as I increase my exercise, my appetite increases. I am hungry all the time and I am eating a lot more food. I am up to about 5000 to 6000 calories a day. And still hungry.
    30/30/40...30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbs.
    You need to gas up your high performance body.

6. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

I guess I should point out that I probably have about 10-15 lbs. of my Winter fat layer to lose as well.

I was down to 173 during my peak at the end of October last year. Down from 198 # when I began a fitness regimen at the end of January 2010. Began using cycling in May 2010 then the pounds started melting off quick. Of course it also helps that I am quite active with other outside interests/duties during the warmer months of the year.

In November when it got "cold" I began a weight lifting program in which I gained approx 20 lbs. Not all muscle not all fat either. At any rate I am now at 189 and feel I could safely lose at least 10 without compromising my strength and health. BTW I am 5'11 and 45 yrs. old.

I am a competitive spirit, but not training for any particular competition. (Yet :) )

7. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Now...biking won't loose that fat ...
    Unless
    You workout with the weight loss in mind.
    If you go out and do an aerobic workout, you have burned, basically zero fat.
    You need to SLOW down to burn the fat.

There are 4 basic stages of workout. I will use my numbers for show.
    My maximum heart rate is 190 for workouts. 205 never to be exceeded.

1- static (This is just doing what you do) This is with my hr never going above 110
    2- FAT BURNING this is my heart rate between 115 and 135. NOT a real hard workout.
    3- Aerobic- This is a hr from 140 to 180 Here I am burning carbs NOT fat.
    4-Anaerobic- This is unsustainable. from 180 until I explode. I can do it for a short while but it will overwhelm me and I will start to get the "burn".

A hard work will not cause ANY weight loss except that which you will replace in full. Water and sugar.
    To loose weight you NEED to stay in zone 2 for a long time.

8. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Hmmm, If my carb intake is low, would'nt my body then begin burning the fuel that it has left ie. fat??

9. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Jeepster this is one of the reason I am looking forward to touring. Just about time to start. You may not be working that hard, but you are doing it all day long.

10. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

When you run out of carbs...you bonk. Your brain runs on carbs, so does the nervous system.
    You DO NOT start burning fat.
    Fat is a slow burning fuel. Nothing will alter that.

Slow...

Touring is wonderful for fat burning.
    So is a marathon.

11. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeep,

That info is good to know, guess I will have to incorporate that into my regimen somehow.

Hazy

12. ReCYCLE

ReCYCLE New Member

I've recently learned that chocolate milk is a good recovery drink :) [/I]

13. Hazy

Hazy Well-Known Member

So I've been doing some research into the fat burning and wondering why, that when I took up bike riding last year that the weight really dropped off fast.

It occurred to me that I began riding in the warmer months when outdoor activities for me ie. gardening, mowing grass etc.. pick up as well. These activities keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone for extended periods of time so I can efficiently burn fat. While bike riding allowed me to expend calories that, had I not used up in my aerobic training ie. bike riding, would have become fat later.

This accounts for my weight/fat gain in the winter months because I was not getting into the fat burning zone nearly as often or for the periods of time that I had in warmer months. C'mon warm weather:)

So I guess I need to come up with a fat burning regimen in the winter months to keep my weight from swinging, as well as my aerobic training to keep my endurance up.

14. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Winter is maintenance time.
    It's not easy to enter spring in a reasonable shape.
    I run.
    A lot.
    It is a fantastic stress reliever as well as keeping me in shape.
    Winter here is not biking friendly at all.
    Summer...Biking HEAVEN!!!

Now you see why 2/3's of all American's are overweight.
    It is easier to be overweight than to deal with it.

15. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

most people eat less when it is warm out, we are animals and used to have to gain weight for warmth... just ride all the time and it will all be okay