Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When these guys cut in front of me on 54th Avenue South in Tierre Verde Florida (in Pinellas County) on 6-28-12, I was more than pissed off. Instead of going to the light and crossing over, they rode in front of me for probably 1/8 of a mile to make a left turn. I'm exclusively a paved trail rider. Also this has never ever happened to be before. Next time I see a cop I will ask him what the law says about this procedure. That would be interesting.

Attachments

·
42 Posts
Yes I do this. :confused: Where do you expect them to turn at??? They have the right to the road just like any other vehicle. Are you expecting them to cross at the crosswalk?

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Cyclist have the right to take the lane when making a left hand turn. Looks to me that they were in the right lane. I wish I had a camera at the ready to take pictures of all the motorist that wrong me out on the road. I think it would be a great idea for me to do so and post them on an automobile forum.

Good Day Charles

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Charles, I have to side with the cyclists on this one.

Every state in the union allows a bicyclist to make a left turn from a left turn lane.

The only difference between what they did and what I might have done is that, instead of entering the left turn lane at 1/8 mi (660 ft) before the light, I might have gottten closer before changing lanes, entering the lane 1/16 mi (330) before the turn. But if traffic was very heavy and it would have been difficult to negotiate a lane change in only 330 ft, I might have entered the turn lane 660 feet before the light

Also,notice that the stripe between the leftturn lane and the straight thru lane is solid. They should be in that left turn lane before the stripe becomes solid.

As for riding two abreast, that is an excellent practice at stop signs and lights. It enables the cyclists to get thru the intersection and out of the way of faster traffic more quickly..

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
When these Yahoos cut in front of me on... I was more than pissed off...
Just because you ride a bicycle doesn't mean your aren't a clueless raging cager. Seek anger management counseling and driver education. Please don't drive until you've resolved your issues. :thumbsup:

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Looks to me like thay are in the left turn lane and if thay make a left thay will be in the right lane after the turn an where thay should be. If thay used the outher left turn lane thay would have to try and get to the right with trafic in the right left turn lane that could be dificult.
My ¢¢

·
Registered
823 Posts
I read this post last night and wanted to jump on my soappbox but thought better of it.

After reading it today, I still want to do the same.....however, I'll make two brief points.

1) These guys look like they know what they're doing (two abreast and taking the lane to ensure their safety) and ride faster than what's allowed on the MUP's (a sore point on my local MUP) so the streets are the best place they can be.

2) I'm going to start packing my camera in my car and take pictures of all the idiot motorists who rush to turn out in front of me only to do 5 slower than the speed limit or the guy who changes lanes and cuts me off w/o using a turn signal.

Still not sure why you posted these pic's or even why you got peeved at the fellow cyclists for obeying the laws in the first place. At least they didn't run red right in front of you. However, I hope it helped you gain some insight into cycling on the road.

Bottom line is, were all motorists and we have to deal with traffic everyday. I have more problems with other drivers than I do with cyclists. I'm just tired of the cyclists being singled out and treated like a red-headed step child when out in traffic.

Keep pedalin'

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well according to a cop I talked with today this is the norm for bicyclists. This has never happened to me before. So I've been enlighted. Anyway I always take my camea with me. Photo-ops happen when you least expect it. Take care.

·
Registered
870 Posts
For cyclists who want to use a camera on the bike you may be interested to know about the GoPro HD camera. I don't yet own or use one, but will soon on my bike.

I used to use 2 sport cameras when I would ride. One would face forward and was mounted to the "T" I use for my head light, the other backward and was mounted to a custom built bracket on the rear rack. I forget the name but I think the company no longer exists. I sold the cameras a long time ago. They were cylinder shaped, used AAA batteries and an SD card. One was the previous model to the other.

Once the cameras recorded video footage of a motorist who passed to close and buzzed/brushed me on purpose.The footage included his face, clear description of his car including plate number. I turned it over to the police. Come to find out he was wanted on other charges, was soon arrested and not only was charged and convicted for reckless driving but also went to prison for everything else he was wanted on.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,201 Posts
SUX,

I have thought of doing something like this and love the idea. Accountability can be a...pain. Sad that it's not only needed but has worked...good for you!

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I watched a guy in full kit, on a carbon Specialized, heading south on the left side of the road, facing traffic. He rode in the crosswalk, crossing the intersection, then made a right turn, crossing again. I expected him to resume his ride in his original direction, but on the correct side of the road, and with the flow of traffic. I was mistaken. He continued west, still on the wrong side of the road.

That's the kind of cyclist that annoys me to no end. He'll get hit by someone looking left as they make their right turn, and will have no one to blame but himself. A group of cyclists legally taking the lane is perfectly reasonable.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I watched a guy in full kit, on a carbon Specialized, heading south on the left side of the road, facing traffic. He rode in the crosswalk, crossing the intersection, then made a right turn, crossing again. I expected him to resume his ride in his original direction, but on the correct side of the road, and with the flow of traffic. I was mistaken. He continued west, still on the wrong side of the road.

That's the kind of cyclist that annoys me to no end. He'll get hit by someone looking left as they make their right turn, and will have no one to blame but himself. A group of cyclists legally taking the lane is perfectly reasonable.
I dislike these guys as well. However, around here its usually the kids who haven't been educated properly and the missionaries. I want to reach out and slap 'em upside the head.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I dislike these guys as well. However, around here its usually the kids who haven't been educated properly and the missionaries. I want to reach out and slap 'em upside the head.
Believe it or not, we have plenty of missionaries here in Utah. They seem to have a clue. But for many people, having eight kids means it difficult enough remembering their names, let alone teaching them how to function in society.

·
1,084 Posts
My biggest peeve about this is when they blatantly violate the laws you're supposed to abide by. MD only allows for a maximum of two abreast only if traffic remains unimpeded, but frequently you find large groups of riders riding 4-5 across holding up traffic.

being in the lane appropriately for a left hand turn is what they should be doing.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I'm pleased to see cargo bikes and trikes delivering food in DC, but why are they riding those big rigs on the crowded city sidewalks? It's against the law and it's obnoxious.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts