Wrecked, wrecked and wrecked

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grape Ape, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Today is my wife and my 20th anniversary. When we got married in AK we had an old Jeepster. So we decided even though it is not road worthy (no taillights and tailgate is off) we would throw a battery in our jeepster and go for a ride around our yard (5 acres) I drive the pickup down to it at my barn and we get the jeep running we both hop in for a ride around the yard.

Now this is important, if you decide to drive a vehicle that has sat for a long time, before you move it check the brakes.

I didn't. I pull out around the pickup, point down the driveway and get on it. we are racing down the driveway towards the county road when I go for the brakes and learn there are no brakes, pump them still nothing. I down shift to first and get her shut down as we roll out onto the county road.

We are laughing. So what do we do, ease back to where we go tit and park it. Nope I know it doesn't have brakes so now I will drive accordingly. We back into the yard then head up the hill through the grass up the steepest part of the yard. When the carburetor unloads and it dies. I roll around point it down hill dump the clutch in first and it fires up we race down the yard loop around the bottom of the yard and then race up the driveway. I ease into the lot by the shop and go up the hill a little forgetting I had no brakes.

I put it into reverse and start backwards, push the brakes and remember I don't have any as I head towards my pickup. I grab first gear rev it up, dump the clutch and steer all at once. Helping to slow the jeep a little before it hits the side of the pickup. Passenger rear of jeep into passenger front fender of truck right in front of door. And dies.

The sound was horrible, my wife and I look at each other and just start laughing. Yeah it was not funny but it was hilarious. I tried to start it but the solenoid wouldn't engage. So I got out and took pics and we pushed them apart. Got the jeep running again and carefully parked it.

The entire time laughing. We had a blast no serious damage to the truck nothing but scuffed paint on the jeep.

At least we have a fun memory for our anniversary.

Here are pics of the wreck plus one of my wonderful wife laughing by the two vehicles.

What about the other 2 wrecks check out my Schwinn breeze thread in the Vintage section for the other 2 wrecks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  2. awinter

awinter No longer a newb!

Any accident you can laugh about is a good one. Glad to hear that you're OK and nothing too serious happened.

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Glad you're OK. Nothing like memorable anniversaries, and congratulations!

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

If she's smiling it's either going to be OK, our you're in trouble. From the sounds of it, you're OK, just be careful.

5. Grape Ape

The smile meant it was ok. We laughed and carried on all day. To anyone who didn't know us I am sure we looked like a couple of lunatics most of the time. It was an incredible day. even with the wrecks and beating we took it turned out to be amazing.

6. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

That's cool. You know every year now you're going to have to relive it to keep up with the excitement.

7. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Glad you had fun.

Keep the side with the wheels down.

8. Grape Ape

Heading out again today for a ride. Going to try to keep the rubber side down.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Back out in the Jeep? Did you get the brakes fixed?

10. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Think (hope) he's talking about his bike.

11. Grape Ape

Went for a ride on the bikes. Some day I will work on the jeep and have it road worthy. Until then I am going to wear the tires out on my bike and hopefully lose some weight in the process.

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That was my thought, in the few months a I quit, I packed the weight back on.

13. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I have to agree!!!!!