WTF is that?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hophead, Feb 10, 2010.

1. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I shot this photo the other night and I'm noticing some weirdness. It appears that I captured some kind of bird when I was shooting this photo. Strange thing is that I shot it with a 1.5 second exposure which is too slow to capture a bird in flight. Also, there appears to be another couple of oddnesses that appear to the right of the "bird thing," a semi-circular corona and a v-shaped thing-a-ma-jig. Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Do you have another image, shot immediately before or after?

3. hophead

No, I took another photo a minute or so before that, but it was in a different direction.

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Looks like a dragonfly to me. Do you guys have those there? Do they die in winter? Wikianswers says they do not.

That pic reminds me of one I took this past summer near Heidelberg, Germany. Definitely another "WTF?" when we looked at it. Since your thread title is so great, and since my pic is similar, do you mind me posting mine later tonight or tomorrow in here?

5. hophead

No, I don't think it's a Dragonfly. Never seen any around here in the winter. Even if they could survive the cold, they eat mosquitoes and other insects that can not survive the cold. Also, that doesn't explain the other two weirdnesses which I believe are related.

Feel free to post your own odd photos here.

6. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

It's probly the mothership coming to take Al Gore back home.

7. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Here's what my local photography expert (well, he knows a helluva lot more about it than me) says:

looks like it could be a lens flare. depends upon what kind of camera/lens he is using. Or, it could be junk on his CCD or lens. Cool corona.

8. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

It's the body and tail boom of a helicopter. IMO

9. dcswan

dcswan New Member

I second the helicopter theory myself. If I was an alien I wouldn't come around when there is snow around! LOL

10. hophead

Nikon D80 w/AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm Lens & UV filter. I suppose it could have been snow, but I don't think so.

I agree with flyingdog. Have a nice flight Al.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  11. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

My serious guess was snowflake stuck to or near the lens. With all the snow/wind we've had this seems plausible.

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

It's light reflecting from the snow on to a particularly dense cloud of water vapor floating through the sky. Like clouds only closer (making it seem closer, it is) and less dense. The halo is caused by the less dense accumulation of particles around the central mass. It probably dissipated as fast as it formed. Notice the similar coloring to the "object" and the snow? That's light Baby and it's all science! The world is an amazing place!

13. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Or it could be a growth in the lens, some times thay get a fungus in side it might be verry small and hard to detect

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

But would be repetitive in the shots.

15. synack

synack The Back Row

Looks like a cloud.

16. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

I'm sticking with rods. There mystical and impossible to prove. I like that.

17. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Not necessarile as the aperture you were using would determin how much of the lens was used, F1.4 opean F22 not much of the lens would be in use

18. hophead

f 3.8