Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
105 hubs are high quality and quiet. Ultegra are lighter and probably the most cost effective. Dura Ace lack the seals of the other two models and are higher maintenance.

I would go with a Velocity Deep V, Mavic CXP33 or Open Pros with straight gauge heavy round spokes.

·
retromike3
274 Posts
Dura Ace no slouch

If I remember correctly Dura Ace is Shimano top line. It may cost a bit more but the stuff is pretty much bomb proof. I generally am not a fan of Shimano, mainly because they change their designs just to obsolete last years model and the and replacement parts from all of their lines is almost impossible to stock. The idea is not to fix anything but to replace it.

I have some older Sram hubs that have lasted me for years and they are set up to match Shimano spacing so if you want to save some bucks(IMHO) go with those guys.

I do like the Velocity rims (I have a pair but, I have yet to put any miles on them) as for the spokes I am used to building wheels with 14 strait gage D.T. but I have seen some cool double butted ones. To me its more has to do with who is building the wheel than what its made out of. (assuming you have a certain level of quality to start with.)

just my two cents

mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dura Ace a bit more, yeah, about 2 to 3 times the cost as Ultegra, and all you get is less weight and higher maintenance. Ultegra is about twice as expensive as 105, the only difference being weight.

At you weight I would recommend 32-spoke front and rear and consider 36 spokes for the rear. ProWheelBuilder will consult as will many others.

Ergott wheels and Peter White are two builders you should consider. They will consult with you and are high quality and reliable. Be leery, many wheel builders have a reputation for high quality but service and delivery are very poor. If you can find a good local builder that might be the best as most offer lifetime truing and you do not have shipping costs and additional time for warranty claims.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I haven't heard of any problems with ProWheelBuilders from any other cycling forum I've been on. People were raving about the Kinin and the IRD wheels that Pro makes. I do have set of touring rims that Peter White made, and those have not needed to be trued since I got them 4 year ago.

If your 260 pounds I would not go with a 32 spoke wheel on the front, 32 spokes for you would be marginal. You should be on at least 36 maybe even 40 especially on the rear. Contact Peter White and he will make you a set that will last, but let him make the recommendation and you'll have the best darn set of wheels possible. His prices are not unreasonable either; just make sure you tell him your weight, and whether or not you'll be doing any loaded touring.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
523 Posts
I've ordered spokes from pwb before. Great price, shipped fast and i'm still running the wheel with those spokes with no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts