Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suck to install anyway. I was expecting something with a bit more substance, not just a floppy vinyl ribbon. Getting the liners to stay put in the center of the tire was a real test of the limits of my patience, even with the tube inflated way more than I normally would have. Maybe I was too much of a perfectionist about it, I dunno.

I'm beyond sick and tired of getting flats out on the road, so if they work it will be worth it. We shall see...

[/rant]

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
I've never used them, but some friends of mine that have, usually pull the tire off the wheel and tape the tire liners in place (in several places) to hold them so they don't slip. They say thin strips of duct tape seems to work best because the adhesive tends to stick to almost anything.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I would suggest using better puncture resistant tires such as Gatorskins.

Personally I have found that low end tires are more likely to punture out on the road. I currently have a 14 month flat free streak using Hutchinson Intensive Hardcase road tires. Well over 3000 miles ridden.

Lastly you should examine your tire and tube when you are flattening to try and figure out the cause of the problem. Not all flats are caused by debris in the roadway. Proper inflation is key over inflated tires can flatten from bursting and not having enough deflection to allow the tire to just conform to some of the road hazards. Under inflation can cause snake bites flats allowing the tire to bottom out on the rim pinching the tube inbetween both. These types of flats leave a distinct two tiny holes or tears side by side in your tube thus the term snake bike.

The price of a tire and liner combined is ussualy more expensive than just upgrading into better tires.

Good luck out there dealing with flats can be a real drag.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ John_V: I was actually thinking adhesive on the liners themselves would be great; not vulcanize to the tire adhesive, just something to make it easier to get everything situated. The tape is a great idea though, I'll definitely give that a try next time.

@ davereo: Yeah, tires will be the next step. I'm the type that doesn't upgrade until replacement time though. That's the yankee in me; gotta use 'em up. Part of the frustration is when I get a flat and the offending object is nowhere to be found, which has happened a few times. At least when I get a flat in the car, the nail/screw/glass shard whatever, stays there for me to discard with some degree of satisfaction.
You could be on to something with the over inflation though; I usually run them at the max. I'll try bumping the pressure down a bit. Never had a pinch flat though ;)

Did 37 miles today and no flats, not like that's saying much, but so far so good anyway.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If you ride a lot, thousands of miles, the edge of the tire liner will eventually cut through your tube. Carry a spare tube. In the meantime it may prevent some punctures.

You do not want to put duct tape in there. You don't have to ride very far, hundreds of miles, before the edge of the duct tape abrades the tube to the point of failure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ Good info, thanks. If nothing else, I'm glad to now have a bit more discussion on these. I searched on this forum before ordering mine and found a few passing references to them, but not much else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts