1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
scary, the shoulder was huge! i must have a false sense of security when I see a shoulder that wide I usually consider that to be a "safe" street to take. The other day I was riding the "wrong way" on a street that looked like that. I only had about 100 yards to get to the street I was turning on and I didn't think crossing over to the other side and back was safer than just traveling the 100 yards, in that time 3 different drivers drifted over the white lane line, I couldn't believe it. all of them were attempting to do something other than drive. I almost always ride with traffic, but maybe I"m just not seeing the bad driving like when it's coming at me. Truth be told it could happen to anyone, stay as safe as you possibly can out there...... J

·
Banned
430 Posts
I think a lot of Americans are on drugs (someone's buying all that stuff) and playing with their gadgets when driving, because they don't value life very much and don't think cyclists are real people. I seriously think most drivers are totally shocked when they see a bicyclist.

Where you live, maybe the culture will vary. When I lived in Plano, I found some roads to be very hostile places, even for people bicycling on sidewalks to stay out of the roads. Now I live in a more rural area, and most people are respectful, but some seem aggressive to bicyclists, usually passing illegally, even over railroad tracks, with oncoming cars coming very close.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
This is terrible. Florida is terrible for bicycling related deaths. It seems like there is a fatality story every month. Last year, the local cycling advocate group held a Friday night vigil ride in honor of six cyclist killed over the preceding four months. That morning, another cyclist stopped at a light was hit and killed by a lady running a stop sign while texting. When she ran the light, she swerved to miss another car and broadsided the cyclist. The cyclist killed was a friend of one of my fellow club member who was riding that night and didn't find out about it until the next morning.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is terrible. Florida is terrible for bicycling related deaths. It seems like there is a fatality story every month. Last year, the local cycling advocate group held a Friday night vigil ride in honor of six cyclist killed over the preceding four months. That morning, another cyclist stopped at a light was hit and killed by a lady running a stop sign while texting. When she ran the light, she swerved to miss another car and broadsided the cyclist. The cyclist killed was a friend of one of my fellow club member who was riding that night and didn't find out about it until the next morning.
John,

Am I thinking about the same incident? As that sounds a lot like a case that happened over in Tampa.

The thing that gets under my skin in these cases is when the police and/or the DA's office announce "no charges have been filed, yet."

Why does it generally take drugs and/or alcohol or in the case of the "good" doctor out in LA an admission that they did it o purpose before these things are taken seriously?

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Not sure if it was the same one you were posting about, but this lady was dragged with her bike and run into a house. In the Tampa Bay area, we have had 9 cycling fatalities in the last 6 months. The bay area is made up of five counties. There are too many people from too many different places with too many different driving habits that make this area dangerous. Tampa is finally starting to plan to make it a cycle friendly city. I think that by the time that happens, I'll be more concerned with a wheelchair friendly area.

Edit: just realized that you are from the bay area, so I'll leave the post for others to read.

·
Registered
313 Posts
John_V said:
Not sure if it was the same one you were posting about, but this lady was dragged with her bike and run into a house. In the Tampa Bay area, we have had 9 cycling fatalities in the last 6 months. The bay area is made up of five counties. There are too many people from too many different places with too many different driving habits that make this area dangerous. Tampa is finally starting to plan to make it a cycle friendly city. I think that by the time that happens, I'll be more concerned with a wheelchair friendly area.

Edit: just realized that you are from the bay area, so I'll leave the post for others to read.
John,

Was the gal who got hit on the sidewalk? That's where the gal I'm thinking about was.

·
Registered
313 Posts
John_V said:
Yes, that is the same one.
John,

Thank you, I thought so.

The sad thing is that there are plenty of people out there who think that riding on the sidewalk is safe, or safer than riding in the road like the vehicle that we are.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is something that I worry about every day when I ride. Where I currently live there are no bike lanes and bikes are not allowed on the sidewalk. All riding we do down here is on the road with the cars that are hopefully paying attention.

I wouldn't necessarily say that drugs are a big cause as much as alcohol and probably in this case inattentiveness. Texting while driving is the newest epidemic sweeping the country and I don't think the penalty and advocacy is enough at the current time. Fines should be high and without mercy for people caught texting while driving. If it is found that people are in an accident and the cause was texting, I think they should be charged with pre-meditated murder. They chose the decision to take their eyes off the road and in turn they chose to kill somebody.

·
348 Posts
@John. I quit biking when I lived in Tampa. I tried the Bayshore Blvd bike lane and it terrified me. I had a new baby and didn't want to die. The sidewalk there felt safer but was cluttered with peds oblivious to passing so I sold my beloved Miele and got a hybrid so I could pass on the grass. Finally I just joined the stroller crowd.

We all need to be more careful but I didn't know the stats were so bad. Hope things get better in Tampa.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts