Yet another tragedy

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by rola643, Apr 29, 2012.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

2. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

3. Buffalo-jon

Buffalo-jon Well-Known Member Tavern Member

scary, the shoulder was huge! i must have a false sense of security when I see a shoulder that wide I usually consider that to be a "safe" street to take. The other day I was riding the "wrong way" on a street that looked like that. I only had about 100 yards to get to the street I was turning on and I didn't think crossing over to the other side and back was safer than just traveling the 100 yards, in that time 3 different drivers drifted over the white lane line, I couldn't believe it. all of them were attempting to do something other than drive. I almost always ride with traffic, but maybe I"m just not seeing the bad driving like when it's coming at me. Truth be told it could happen to anyone, stay as safe as you possibly can out there...... J

4. tmallgolf

tmallgolf New Member

Re

Really sad, safety must be the priority while riding a bike.

5. salvage_bikes

salvage_bikes Banned

I think a lot of Americans are on drugs (someone's buying all that stuff) and playing with their gadgets when driving, because they don't value life very much and don't think cyclists are real people. I seriously think most drivers are totally shocked when they see a bicyclist.

Where you live, maybe the culture will vary. When I lived in Plano, I found some roads to be very hostile places, even for people bicycling on sidewalks to stay out of the roads. Now I live in a more rural area, and most people are respectful, but some seem aggressive to bicyclists, usually passing illegally, even over railroad tracks, with oncoming cars coming very close.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

This is terrible. Florida is terrible for bicycling related deaths. It seems like there is a fatality story every month. Last year, the local cycling advocate group held a Friday night vigil ride in honor of six cyclist killed over the preceding four months. That morning, another cyclist stopped at a light was hit and killed by a lady running a stop sign while texting. When she ran the light, she swerved to miss another car and broadsided the cyclist. The cyclist killed was a friend of one of my fellow club member who was riding that night and didn't find out about it until the next morning.

7. Digital_Cowboy

Digital_Cowboy New Member

John,

Am I thinking about the same incident? As that sounds a lot like a case that happened over in Tampa.

The thing that gets under my skin in these cases is when the police and/or the DA's office announce "no charges have been filed, yet."

Why does it generally take drugs and/or alcohol or in the case of the "good" doctor out in LA an admission that they did it o purpose before these things are taken seriously?

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  8. John_V

Not sure if it was the same one you were posting about, but this lady was dragged with her bike and run into a house. In the Tampa Bay area, we have had 9 cycling fatalities in the last 6 months. The bay area is made up of five counties. There are too many people from too many different places with too many different driving habits that make this area dangerous. Tampa is finally starting to plan to make it a cycle friendly city. I think that by the time that happens, I'll be more concerned with a wheelchair friendly area.

Edit: just realized that you are from the bay area, so I'll leave the post for others to read.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  9. Digital_Cowboy

John,

Was the gal who got hit on the sidewalk? That's where the gal I'm thinking about was.

10. John_V

Yes, that is the same one.

11. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I see wrong way cyclists, and cyclists on the sidewalk all the time. It used to annoy me, but now I figure that perhaps they're a wee bit safer.

12. Sole_Bicycles

Sole_Bicycles New Member

This happens far too often!

13. Digital_Cowboy

John,

Thank you, I thought so.

The sad thing is that there are plenty of people out there who think that riding on the sidewalk is safe, or safer than riding in the road like the vehicle that we are.

14. bradsalex

bradsalex New Member

This is something that I worry about every day when I ride. Where I currently live there are no bike lanes and bikes are not allowed on the sidewalk. All riding we do down here is on the road with the cars that are hopefully paying attention.

I wouldn't necessarily say that drugs are a big cause as much as alcohol and probably in this case inattentiveness. Texting while driving is the newest epidemic sweeping the country and I don't think the penalty and advocacy is enough at the current time. Fines should be high and without mercy for people caught texting while driving. If it is found that people are in an accident and the cause was texting, I think they should be charged with pre-meditated murder. They chose the decision to take their eyes off the road and in turn they chose to kill somebody.

15. DChapman

DChapman Junior Member Tavern Member

@John. I quit biking when I lived in Tampa. I tried the Bayshore Blvd bike lane and it terrified me. I had a new baby and didn't want to die. The sidewalk there felt safer but was cluttered with peds oblivious to passing so I sold my beloved Miele and got a hybrid so I could pass on the grass. Finally I just joined the stroller crowd.

We all need to be more careful but I didn't know the stats were so bad. Hope things get better in Tampa.