1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Banned
430 Posts
Hahha. That's great. Some of the traffic lights do have electronic switches. I've read about people putting magnets on their frames or getting a cadence computer with a magnet on the crank, to set them off.

How to Trigger Green Traffic Lights (with pictures) - wikiHow (article describes traffic light sensors, and how putting a small magnet from a hard drive on your shoe can help activate them. )

I got a kick out of the "seldom ridden project bike".

I always have more than 1 of those. One is a beach cruiser with a 50cc motor on it, great for parades and car shows. One is a BMX junker that I use for fishing and riding in the mud, or going to the mailbox.

Re: The Brown Mile hahhahaha. It happens. Not sure about the science, but climbs seem to do that. Maybe bring those brown napkins from 7/11 or Starbucks etc, the fashionable organic ones, and do what you gotta do far as you can get but watch for poison ivy! It seems like one of the "universal truths" is you can be alone in the forest for days, but the second you have to poop, someone will come flying on their bike, lock up their brakes, and check on you to make sure you didn't die from crashing your bike or something. Try standing your bike against a tree if you can wait long enough.

http://dadthing.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/poop-on-the-shoe.JPG

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
In most places I've lived, you can actually see where they've put the magnetic loops in the road, at lights.

I did not laugh at the "Headwinds both ways", because my commute to work in Australia not only had a headwind both ways, it was uphill both ways. Around mid-day, the wind would shift, always in time for my ride home. And although there was a steep downhill section right when I left my house in the morning, it was followed by a long slog back up hill. The shortest way back home was a ride alongside the highway, which was both hot and terrifying when trucks passed. And uphill. After another short and steep downhill, the options were a short climb in a residential area, or a gentler uphill through a park. Either way, it was always hot and miserable, due to the humidity. Rides to the beach made up for it though.

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hack #10 reminded me of a certain Chi somebody that got banned :D and I absolutely love #9 passing somebody !

·
Registered
243 Posts
This was pretty good, not experienced enough to relate to all of them, but definitely made me laugh.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Oh and the bit about how the light changes just as you quit your track stand is a joke! It has nothing to do with sensors in the road!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I did not laugh at the "Headwinds both ways", because my commute to work in Australia not only had a headwind both ways, it was uphill both ways. Around mid-day, the wind would shift, always in time for my ride home. And although there was a steep downhill section right when I left my house in the morning, it was followed by a long slog back up hill. The shortest way back home was a ride alongside the highway, which was both hot and terrifying when trucks passed. And uphill. After another short and steep downhill, the options were a short climb in a residential area, or a gentler uphill through a park. Either way, it was always hot and miserable, due to the humidity. Rides to the beach made up for it though.
You were quite the road warrior in your day! :thumbsup:

·
Two skinny J's
21,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like. :) Much rings true and I quite like the illustrations too. I don't see poop or bagged poop on my rides, pet owners around here aren't jerks, but I could relate to the rest of it. I've bookmarked the blog. Thanks for posting this!
One of the many reasons I like the Shirlington area.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Synchronicity hits me in all phases of life, not just biking.:confused:

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Good read, a little truth in some of it, maybe a lot of truth in some of it, and a little truth in all of it. :D

·
Banned
430 Posts
I thought it was funny because of "18 things you know are true" and that really happens. I don't throw trash on the trail, or poop on it, but if I have to take a break I will get far as possible away from the trail and people. I am not a trail trasher. Actually, in the summers I volunteer to do trail work ( I won't pick up poop though, but I do pick up containers and help fix ruts, trim trees, and run the weedeater for miles.
That's not funny. Please don't put human feces on the road or in the forest. I'm appalled and furious that I have to tell you this! If you can't keep it in, carry it out!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Synchronicity hits me in all phases of life, not just biking.:confused:
Like when you pull up to a stop light and get tired of holding in the clutch so you just put it in neutral. Blink "Green!" LOL

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I thought it was funny because of "18 things you know are true" and that really happens. I don't throw trash on the trail, or poop on it, but if I have to take a break I will get far as possible away from the trail and people. I am not a trail trasher. Actually, in the summers I volunteer to do trail work ( I won't pick up poop though, but I do pick up containers and help fix ruts, trim trees, and run the weedeater for miles.
Bury it or pack it out, brother. It sounds like you already know this. Human Waste Disposal in the Backcountry: How to pee and poop in the woods - Trailspace.com

1 - 20 of 28 Posts