Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just happened upon a road that I think will be my very first real long tour. I am working toward my first century and when I reach that goal this one will be next.

Many years ago, when I was still a small kid, we made a trip down a small section of the Natchez Trace Parkway. The Natchez Trace runs from Natchez Mississippi to Nashville. It originally an old Indian trail, traveled by foot. Now its a two lane highway that is also a bike route. Speed limit is 50mph with limited access so there is limited if any crossing traffic. Because the speed limit is low, through traffic is minimal.

The mileage total is 450, and if I did the whole thing, and even if I only did 45 miles or so a day its a two week trip. Checking into the bicycle camping that is advertised along the route.

One thing they did do right on this road is no signs, no power lines and every attempt to keep this as natural as possible. Riding the old stomping grounds is in about two weeks. After the century, this should be my next real goal. Still in my early 50s, I hope my health holds so this isn't just a pipe dream. Even if it is, its a dream I am going to keep as a goal for now.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
that is very cool and sounds like a blast... want the company of a youngster who would love to do something like that but is afraid to do it alone do to camping and bad people who hurt young small people... :)
i am serious by the way.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,506 Posts
Since I got my new trailer I have become obsessed with touring. I did an over night trip and had a blast. In June I'm loading up and taking off to do a long section of bike path. I'm just leaving my route and plans loose and letting my body dictate where I go. My biggest stress is, of course, wild camping. I've been camping and backpacking since I was a young kid but the part of wild camping that makes me nervous is camping in non established places (stealth camping). Ohio isn't as unpopulated and open as most people think. And I don't want to use Warmshower.com when I can camp.

·
3,510 Posts
Did you ever ride the Trace?
Cannon, when I first read their posts, I thought they were recent. Then I saw it was 2011. But I was thinking of your post this morning, of which I replied to.
As for Nigel, I think, who posted that Ohio is not a good place to "stealth" camp (disperse), they haven't talked to me:D. My first method of any camping by bike is if I can stealth (camp anywhere in forests following rules, of course) second is if the area has primitive camping (usually dedicated sites with extremely minimal amenities like outhouse). Last is commercial camping.
I was also going to compare that Ohio has no real Indian trail, but a close semblance of where their trail used to be, called the Scioto Trail. I plan on this being my "shakedown ride" for my circuit ride around Lake Superior, this summer. It goes from Lake Erie Sandusky Bay 220 miles south to the Ohio River, near Portsmouth. It's about 320 miles, if I ride back to the house from Portsmouth. I will stealth camp along the river. ;) Best to you on your Natchez Trace ride. Please let us know how your training is going, and if you need any tips.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ironlungs, thanks for your comment and input. Due to the weather I've been using my Blackburn Teach Mag 1 trainer which I love but it's not like being outside. I was talking with my mother yesterday ,I told her I only had 6-7 weeks left of treatments until I'll be finished. I look forward to that and be more focus on training vs treatments,I'm very blessed to feel as good as I do vs our cancer pts. Prayers ,pointers on my trip are welcome anytime. I'm trying to figure out how/when I should eat/breaks ect.but I can't di this until I get out there and do some big miles vs using the trainer.

·
3,510 Posts
<----- Understand. Prayers going for intercession.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Update.... 2-3treatments left and according to my Dr. I'll be in remission. Blessed is all I can say!!! Now I order my panniers(rear) an just got my handlebar bag but my brake cables are in the way,is their away I can chg or reroute the cables so I can hook my bag to the handlebars? I've looked at a few bikes on YouTube showing there cables was rerouted. I have a cannondale caad8. Thanks charles

·
3,510 Posts
Update.... 2-3treatments left and according to my Dr. I'll be in remission. Blessed is all I can say!!! Now I order my panniers(rear) an just got my handlebar bag but my brake cables are in the way,is their away I can chg or reroute the cables so I can hook my bag to the handlebars? I've looked at a few bikes on YouTube showing there cables was rerouted. I have a cannondale caad8. Thanks charles
Great news for remission! Just keep on getting better, Cannon! Live the dreams.
As for brake cabling, I don't have an answer. I have aero bars on my bike that I use to store bags, that helps, I know. They are also great for what they are designed for. ..:eek:. But I mostly use them for hanging extra bags or mounting gizmos like cameras, gps.
The Natchez and my neck of the woods (Ohio) has someone in common. We have a section of road in Thaddeus Kosciusko's http://www.nps.gov/natr/kosciusko-bicycle-only-campground.htm , there is a campsite on the Natchez with his name, you may possibly stay at.
I'm envious for your ride, but I've got my own coming up, too. If you have questions on workouts regimens, bring them up. .. we'll help ya.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
Congratulations on your recovery

Can you provide a photo of the bars and the bag?

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Awesome! :thumbsup: As a leukemia patient, I've experienced the relief of having the doctor tell you that you are on the doorstep of of remission. It's truly a great feeling. Just don't rush into it and start off slow so that your body learns to function with the anemia that you might get when first starting your remission.

·
3,510 Posts
Charles, the best I can tell you of water- shower- restrooms, is that of the link, I cut/ pasted this from that campsite: quote
Just press the blue link in that one post. It also gives updates, such as a detour you may be affected by at mile posts 385.9 i think: http://www.nps.gov/natr/learn/news/Natchez-Trace-Parkway-to-Implement-Detour-in-Lewis-County.htm
"The Kosciusko Bicycle-only Campground at milepost 160 is located west of the Kosciusko Welcome Center's parking area. The eight campsites provide a picnic table, tent pad, and a fire grate. Restrooms and water are available outside of the Kosciusko Welcome Center year round. The museum and welcome center are open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm daily, except for holidays.

Access a map of this section of the Parkway"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts