Your iPhone just became a heart rate monitor.

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by Industry_Hack, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

The iPhone iMapMy app can now read your heart rate through the Wahoo Fisica Ant+ 30 pin Sensor. Simply plug your Sensor into the iPhone, strap on a heart rate band that is ANT+ compatible and start tracking your heart rate with the iMapMy App. Your heart rate data will automatically sync with any MapMyFITNESS website.

Existing heart rate sensors from Garmin, Timex and any others which support Ant+ will automatically work – all you need is the Wahoo Fisica Sensor.

Learn More »

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

"– all you need is the Wahoo Fisica Sensor."

And an iphone :)

3. Industry_Hack

This was actually a big deal at Interbike this year. MapMyFitness is run by some pretty innovative guys, and the Wahoo Fisica Sensor will probably become a pretty common piece of gear as more and more apps take advantage of the technology it offers. Since it can read heart rate, cadence, and speed, it's going to allow cyclists (and other athletes) the ability to capture a lot of meaningful data when combined with GPS.

I know you can get a GPS with HRM, or a bike computer with HRM, but neither will allow you to capture, store, and analyze data the way you'll be able to with an iPhone. No other device can offer the flexibility, nor as many options to compare and manipulate data. For some, this might just be another geek toy. But for people serious about tracking fitness, it's indispensable.

On a side note, I do not own an iPhone, but my wife got me the latest iPod Touch for my birthday. At first, I was skeptical of it being very useful, but I've found plenty of apps (not just cycling related) that appeal to me.

4. rola643

I can see that exploding if/when Verizon gets the iPhone. AT&T service is...well lacking at best in this area. At this point I would be more inclined to go that route than, say for example, the Garmin 800.

5. Industry_Hack

But if you're already an iPhone user, then $80 for the sensor is a bargain, considering how many apps are/will be available for it.

I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever, but they're certainly putting the available technology to good use.

6. tomk

tomk Member

I've been looking for an ANT + cadence sensor....this could be interesting.

I have tried the MapMyRide app on my iPhone and really find it to be mediocre. The tracking has been dodgy at best and their web interface was hard to use.

I have had much better luck with Cyclemeter all the way around.

I may take another look at MapMyRide.

7. Industry_Hack

What kind of issues have you had? I'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback.

8. rola643

Too funny, I was looking for something and this came up. The Wahoo Fisica Sensor links( from Hacks origanl post) directs you to mapmyride.com

9. Industry_Hack

That's because they sell it on there, silly. ;)

10. rola643

11. Industry_Hack