Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 19 of 101 Posts

· Registered
830 Posts
Garmin Virb Elite Dark - http://tinyurl.com/kbngn8h

I'm into photography also, and I always miss good shots when I have to stop my bike, pull my camera out of where ever I stowed it, and try to snap a pic. I had a camera mount for the bike but a regular point and shoot takes too long to start up for some of those quick shots.

Plus I wanted something that I could sling in a safe place between the tri-bars and have it taking video for my entire ride, and that I could quickly take a picture with.

The Virb seems to fit the bill - full HD video recording good for many hours, and the ability to press a button for a 16 MP photo while still taking the video.

Plus it has GPS, connects to ANT+ devices including my HRM GPS watch and HR strap, and as a bonus when I sling it directly between my tri-bars where it's relatively safe even in a spill, I can look down and have a HR, speed, distance, incline, trip time, compass, altitude, etc right there. I don't normally have a bike computer and use my watch only.

It's a pretty amazing little piece of electronics, and cheaper than a GoPro.

In the pic you can see the accessories I got for it (they are all made for the GoPro but fit on this fine) - a couple for biking, as well as for handheld use, an overhead 'selfie' taker, car mount, and tripod converters and a storage case I liberated from an old cordless that died.

· Registered
830 Posts
That's what I was thinking, perhaps using something rubbery as a base so whatever weight is put on top won't slide around. Might even be able to integrate another idea, like weighted a storage/too box or something.

Lou, why not just add some weight to the current platform in areas that aren't vital?

· Registered
830 Posts
It's a cool project, how you did it and all.

I know you already got your canvas covering for it but did you check out stuff like high traffic and indoor/outdoor carpeting, stuff like Berber? Lowes has it for a buck a foot or so, depending on quality. We got a bunch of it for our exercise room because we wanted something cheap but heavy duty, we also got some for our computer room and ended up not even using a pad for the chairs with wheels and it's held up to the chair movement as well as people coming in from outside for years.

So I couldn't find automotive carpet without spending over $100, which to me is just not worth it. So on a suggestion I headed to JoAnn Febrics. The lady suggested using thick canvas. So I bought enough black canvas to cover both sides and I only spent $25. Besides its so tough that it won't rip like carpet could and it's more water resistant than carpet is also. To protect the wood though I am going to seal it first with a Thompson water seal so I'll never have to worry about cutting another piece of wood. But hey! It's 100% functional at this point. Now I can take my time making it look like it belongs

· Registered
830 Posts
Thanks to my beautiful wife; Garmin Forerunner 620 (shown in biking mode).

And a brand new Kona Esatto.

Love the Esatto but not sure when I am going to actually be able to ride it here in frozen NNY, blizzardy right now. The only thing I don't like all that well about the bike is that it came with 28s.

Attachments

· Registered
830 Posts
That Garmin 620 is good looking! Does it work as a standard watch when not cycling?
Yea, power down mode is a clock and date. And then it can be put into biking or running or racing mode for logging. The biking mode is fully customizable for data display, and has a ton of stuff for data once it's uploaded to Garmin Connect (possibly real hardcore data nuts might not find it displays enough data on the watch itself but it seems to have plenty of options).

Also has an accelerometer in addition to the GPS for measuring distances inside (it works amazingly well so far on the treadmill). The biking mode in pretty standard and seems to connect to the regular ANT+ sensors, uploads via Bluetooth and/or any WiFI you designate (which means you can upload at Starbucks if you add the network), has live tracking (haven't used it yet), Vo2 Max, recovery times, social sharing, and has cadence and ground contact time, etc for running.

I like it so far, it makes my 405CX look like a dinosaur.

Kona always does nice paint schemes. Really nice bike.
Thanks, I like the matte black "retro hotrod" look (that's what I call it anyway) from a visual standpoint, but from the safety side it'd be better if it were neon orange with black stripes or something - but then I wouldn't want to ride it ;)

· Registered
830 Posts
Bought this on a lark (http://amzn.to/1RQztS1). I use a Co2 pump normally but I saw this and had to check it out to see if it actually works.
It's a close clone of the Mobo bike pump (http://amzn.to/1PI3zED).
Aluminum body, supposedly 100 PSI, with a Presta and Schrader nozzle and water bottle mount.

The thing actually does work, seems to be up over 100 PSI if needed.
But I can't imagine using it except in an extreme emergency. The tiny size is so awkward and it takes a fair amount of time. Maybe good as a backup on a long mountain bike ride out in the boonies.

Attachments

· Registered
830 Posts
I bet this isn't the whole story - I can imagine you were wearing a full pirate outfit complete with plastic sword and eye patch and explained it to her in a pirate voice? ;)

Moving on....I booked a cruise for us in January during her spring break since she's a teacher. I have kept it a secret this whole time and just told her last night. We leave on Saturday in just 6 days

· Registered
830 Posts
I've used shoelaces also but I think I liked pipe cleaners the best, damn they work nicely. And I also cut up old t-shirts into strips for the mountain bike - good for when there's twigs and debris jammed in there.

I make my own gear floss. ;) For those of you who don't own a braider or are on the cheap side like me old shoe laces work great.

· Registered
830 Posts
Got my wife one for Xmas this year and she loves it, no problems and she occasionally checks its accuracy by hand (when she's at rest after doing something) and it's spot on.
The only issue she sometimes has is if she wears tight-sleeved shirts it can pull it up or down some. The good thing is that as long as it's under the sleeve of the shirt (no light gets in) it still reads her HR no matter where on her arm it is or even if it's not completely flush against her skin.

So I decided to try the Scosche Rhythm. I have used it about a week and so far like it. I also like wearing it on my upper arm. The battery like seems good so far too.
View attachment 22310

· Registered
830 Posts
I used to have something similar on my old road bike (three bikes back), I wanted another water bottle for extended trips and I found one that I could clamp to the side of the fork. It worked great, didn't seem to throw off my steering or anything.

Yep, it worked great for a long time, until I was riding through the city and went into a deep hole around a street drain grate by accident. It must have been loosened up a bit or the jar was enough to do it in because it went directly into the spokes - waterbottle, bottle holder, and the rest of the clamp.

Fortunately I was going up a steep hill and also looking for my chance to get work my way into the left lane so I wasn't going very fast.

I had also somehow slipped to the side as I went into or out of the hole, close enough to a curb to catch my pedal/foot on it; which was real painful but in combination with going fairly slowly it all stopped me real, real quick.

And saved the spokes from being bent.

Because amazingly; the water bottle was actually jammed and squashed and sticking out between the spokes and the fork in back (racing wheels at the time, fortunately I suppose as there are a lot less spokes), looking like it was ready to be guillotined in what I suppose at other times would be in a comical sort of way.

I conscientiously picked up all of the broken water bottle mount pieces and stuck them in my seat bag, bent the metal holder pieces into a hook and hooked it over my handlebar, and drank the remaining water in the bottle and tied the top of it to the handlebars with a zip tie I carry with me.

I still have the water bottle BTW.

The other day at the Bike Shop I saw two Bottle Cages.....One, velcroed to the frame anywhere, but only held a very large bottle. The other adjusted in the cage area, but had to be screwed onto the Frame.....both, very expensive.

· Registered
830 Posts
Raw honey is really good for that. It's antibacterial, if I recall.
I was just going to write that also. And so is cinnamon (or supposedly).

Unfortunately pasteurized honey does not have the same antibacterial properties as in raw honey - pinocembrin; which is unfortunately processed out during the pasteurization process (as one of my friends who does healthy life coaching originally explained to me).

1 - 19 of 101 Posts