Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Old, fat, and slow
1,312 Posts
865 grams for the naked frame (with seat post clamp and rear dropout support) for a size 56. 1980 or something for the frame with headset, fork, seat post and clamp, saddle, spacers, stem. I am going to try a four-color paint job so that will add some weight ;) And the obnoxious saddle clamp won't fit under the saddle I want to use. Otherwise, no complaints so far. Workswell 093 endurance frame with rim brakes, getting 105 drive train with an Ultegra rear derailleur, hand-built Portnoy's Complaints sub-1500g wheel set.

Setting it up with a saddle bag which can carry a bottle and a giant bar bag I sewed myself several decades ago for touring. Planning to use it for longer rides, specifically solo metric centuries and centuries, where four water bottles and food and a jacket are necessary. The finished product will have fewer spacers and a less angled stem ... I set it up as is to get some measurements.

· Old, fat, and slow
1,312 Posts
This is admittedly kind of extravagant and I hemmed and hawed about pulling the trigger on this and then when I did I tried to change the order but they were so fast it had already shipped. I ordered the Pro version of this and changed my mind and wanted to "down size" to what they call and XL. Glad it worked out the way it did! AND MOST IMPORTANTLY MADE IN USA!!!
I really cannot afford even to replace tires and tubes right now ..... but i checked out the product and it looks to be exactly the kind of thing i want .... very much. My old bag lasted nineteen years before i couldn't keep patching it and trust it to handle events.

I think I 'd make a removable padded hard bottom out of fiberglass sheet or something... plenty of options ... but I love a highly compartmentalized bag. I like having a place to put the stuff I need and I like knowing where to reach to find what I need. Price isn't even outrageous .... this will have to go on the long-term wish-list.

· Old, fat, and slow
1,312 Posts
I don't worry if I locked the door ... because it is called "Breaking and entering" for a reason. I don't like leaving my bike unlocked because while it is called "common decency," the term is actually defined as "irony," because so few people have the common decency to leave other people's stuff alone.

I have had a few bikes "liberated---one recovered---and one I lost was built-from-scrap Schwinn which I made into a touring bike and rode from Florida to Virginia. I did Not like losing that one.

Now I go shopping with a three-pound chain---just to Look locked---and when I go to the gym I use two locks---for the same reason. I figure a ne'er-do-well passing by might try his hand at picking one lock but not two. Of course, anyone with an angle-grinder--probably stolen--can defeat any security system, but the 95% of retards who would mess with my bikes won't be prepared that well, and the five percent who are, wouldn't bother stealing any bike I'd risk locking up.

As for my good bikes ... I would leak down my leg before I would run into a bathroom and leave the bike outside, unlocked, for even those thirty seconds. Coming back and not finding your bike is like a punch in the stomach, a kick in the balls, and a knife in the heart all at once.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts